front fork seal replacement

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
tech1
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing 1200 SE-i Aspencade
2009 audo comfort
GL1800

front fork seal replacement

Postby tech1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:36 am

Hello everyone. I just replace my front fork seals yesterday. At first I thought it would be easier to not pull them from the triple tree. I then had the bottom bolt stripped out. I thought i was done. Chisled and chisled but wouldn't come out. So I pulled it out which found out is simple. three clamp bolts and a SMALL wire snap ring. I alread had the seal retainer snap ring out but couldn't get the seal. I had to figure out how to get it out without the bottom bolt letting you pop it out. Not much room to drill and slide hammer. I them put the top cap back in and used my blow gun and used compressed air in the drain hole. it took some work and a little heat on the fork at the seal area and it poped out nice. And NO damage to the sealing surfaces. Took her for a ride afterwards and a beautiful night for a ride and no leaks and with freshly serviced front forks.
I find the more I work on this bike the easier it is to work on. I hope this helps anyone with the same problem
PS My ride is an 86 SEi. Quarter of a centry old and still a smooth fast comfortable ride.
Master Tech

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: front fork seal replacement

Postby dingdong » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:55 pm

Good work except you still have a stripped bottom retainer bolt. You have just become a member of "That %^#$@ Previous Owner Club" :shock: ;)
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

tech1
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing 1200 SE-i Aspencade
2009 audo comfort
GL1800

Postby tech1 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Yes that is going to be a winter NON riding season repair. I see the bolt is still avalable new. I'll try to get it out or like you said find a donor on Ebay.
Joe

bobberwing
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 interstate

Postby bobberwing » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:38 am

Does anyone know of a sight that shows step by step with photos of seal replacement? I have front wheel of already to replace tire and fork seal on one side leaking bad. Are any special tools required? Just need some info and would like to do myself. Thanks. By the way mine is a 1984 gl1200 Interstate.

Richy
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200i Interstate

Postby Richy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:38 pm

I'm also looking for a good step by step guide for fork seals.
I may consider doing the steering head bearings while I'm at it.
Richy
Richy
1986 GL1200i Interstate
1980 CB900C

bobberwing
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 interstate

Postby bobberwing » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:50 am

I did some research and found that you can make a seal driver tool out of 1.5" pvc pipe. Cut a 4" length being sure to get it straight (square) on ends. Now cut it lengthwise down the center. When you are ready to drive new seal in, place the two pieces around upper fork and put two hose clamps on to hold it together. Now you would simply tap around evenly to seat the seal. This is if you don't take upper forks out of triple trees. The bolts on bottom of lower fork came out fairly easy. I left the caps on upper fork that hold the springs in place then I put a rachet strap around bottom fork and hooked around handle bar. The pressure was enough that the damper rod did not spin in lower fork as I removed bolt. I now have everthing ready and just waiting for parts to arrive. The only thing that worries me now is if I will have trouble getting caps back on that holds springs in place. Some say it's hard to do while others say it's no big deal.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”