remove swing arm or not?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
2001 XT225
2002 Vulcan 750
2009 Ninja 500

remove swing arm or not?

Postby Big-Bob » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:57 pm

Ok I am still working on the '85 LTD I bought almost 3 months ago(don't have much free time) I finally have the engine and fuel injection all straightened out and running great. Yesterday I removed the entire rear end ( both shocks, rear wheel, final drive gearcase, and driveshaft. I also removed that height sensor linkage or whatever it is on the right side behind the rear master cylinder. All the splines look like new, on the wheel, in the gearcase where the wheel splines go, and on both ends of the driveshaft. I noticed after I removed the driveshaft from the gear case, and laid the gearcase on a piece of plywood, that oil ran out of it where the driveshaft went in, so I suppose I had better replace that oil seal on the driveshaft before putting it back together. Not in a hurry. But my question is, after I have gone this far, is there any reason to remove the swingarm? I cannot find anything wrong with it, it moves up and down freely, and I cannot detect any side to side play. I understand it takes special tools to get the swing arm off. Based on what I have found, I wouldn't even consider it, but the bike has 93,000 miles on it. Is there anything in there that might need attention after all those miles? Just want to make sure I don't miss something while I have it all apart, including the trunk, both bags, and all the mounting brackets. Thanks, Bob.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”