LTD Compaired to SEI

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Right Winger
Motorcycle: 85 ltd
84aspy

LTD Compaired to SEI

Postby Right Winger » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:44 pm

Can anyone tell me for sure if the SEI & the LTD has the same charging ( mainly the stator ) system. If not can the LTD be upgraded to the SEI without major modifications . And another question do the stator cover gaskits differ from 1200 FI to Carb units Thanks :)

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Re: LTD Compaired to SEI

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:53 pm

Stator is the same on Ltd and SEI, basically they are the same bike just different name and paint scheme.

Digitalsaw
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEI

Postby Digitalsaw » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:11 am

It is my understanding the SEI is the fuel injected model correct? I just purchased a 1986 SEI and I was told by a shop owner it was Honda's first attempt at fuel injection. Isn't that the difference between the two?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:39 am

The SEi is fuel injected, yes. It was not made for very long, and parts for the fuel injection system and computer are very hard to come by - and as a result, very expensive. That reason alone, despite the convenience of the fuel injection system, would steer me away from an SEi.

Ghostrider52005
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200 LTD, 1984 GL1200 Interstate, VS 700 Suzuki Intruder.

Postby Ghostrider52005 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:52 am

The dealer apparently doesnt know his own models. 1985 goldwing ltd was the first fuel injected model. I own one. A bit of searching on the net etc will turn up parts for the fuel injection. What cant be found can normally be replaced by another component not nessacarily made for the gold wing.
The stator is larger and has a higher output on 85 ltd and 86 sei. Online salvage bike salvage yards are a good bet. There are a lot of these bikes still around and a lot of them get wrecked like any other.
The trick to keeping the fuel injection system running smoothly is to run sea foam or some other injector cleaner in a tank of gas occasionally.
If trouble arises in the fi system it usually is as everything else on a 1200 electrical. The bikes theyselves are bullet proof practically but the quality of wiring compared to the quality of the bike sucks.
There was a sevice bulletin on the 85 ltd about vapor locking that was a dealer fix if the owner brought it in. It was done on mine when I aquired it. I would assume it was dealt with by honda before rolling out the 86 sei since it was a known issue on the 85. Personally I wouldnt be steered away from the 85 or 86 because of fuel injection. It wasnt discontinued because of unreliability but rather because of cost of production and honda facing stiff compettion from yamaha on its own touring model.
Stator replacement on 1200 fuel injected or not requires engine removal. If you are planning to to something about the stator on your sei I strongly suggest doing the poorboy alternator conversion to a external car alternator. We have done this on my friends 84 interstate. It is much easier to do in the first place, and tons easier to pull the external alt should it take a dump on you on a long trip.
You can do it either by purchasing a poorboy kit or simply fabing some simple parts yourself. alt to be used is off a geo metro or chevy sprint converted to a one wire hookup. then simply unhook the stator system and enjoy peace of mind and more reserve voltage. cost to do my friends with us making the parts was about 75 dollars including the alternator. Hope it helps.

Digitalsaw
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEI

Postby Digitalsaw » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:40 pm

Good information. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I had another 86' back in 1994 and it was just the LTD. I enjoyed it but this SEi is a bit more loaded that first bike. I first heard about the alternator conversion online a day or so ago but my stator is fine for now but if it does go out I believe I will look into the conversion. Makes sense. Thanks for passing that on.
I'm having a bit of a problem now with the suspension. It is showing me the 'EEE' on the suspension display. I'm going to work through it but again, I will take any advice I can get.
Thanks again.
Scott

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”