'86 aspencade fuse panel diagram

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
gunny-usmc
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda aspencade GL1200

'86 aspencade fuse panel diagram

Postby gunny-usmc » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:30 am

Just got an '86 aspencade and there is a cigarette lighter on the fairing. It appears to not have 12v at the unit . Went under the false tank to check the fuse panel to look for a blown fuse but it appears there is supposed to be a cover over it but it's missing. Does this cover tell you what fuse goes to what system ? Is there a picture or can someone tell me what fuse goes to what ..
Thanks

tricky

Re: '86 aspencade fuse panel diagram

Postby tricky » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:29 am

The cig lighter was installed by a previous owner, Not Honda, so you will need to trace the wiring from the cig lighter to find out where it gets it's power.

If they are connected to the Accessory screws on the fuse panel, the fuse (#3 I think) is not, nor the wiring, strong enough to run an actual cig lighter. If it is used for a gps or mp3 player that would be fine.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:05 pm

Many Wingers ( and myself ) install a cigarette lighter plug as a handy way to plug in some accessories :
Phone recharger, a map light , camera battery recharger etc.

As such, mine is wired DIRECTLY to the battery terminal ( so its always " on " thru a fused line , with the fuse quite close to the battery ...
( Think about it hows it might be used, and how it might short out ...)

so... you will have to trace the wire back to see if the in-line fuse is blown..

If its not fused, or if its wired thru the fuse box... with its smaller fuses ...
Then you should change that , IMHO

gunny-usmc

Postby gunny-usmc » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:57 pm

I didn't think it was a stock item, can't understand why the po would'nt instal a weather proof power point. I put one on my KLR years ago and never had an issue with it but like you said, mine powers the gps unit. I didn't have time to trace it today, took the wife on a nice ride for most of the day. I'll take things apart on the fairing Sunday, I have to make a repair to the right mirror anyways as it was flopping around, found it was missing a bolt. Seems the captive nut in the fairing had broken out at some point in the past and now needs some custom fab work to make the mirror solid again.

I still could use some info on the fuses though. the owners manual was written for monkeys it appears.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:03 pm

You should get a shop manual or two. I bought a clymers ... which has a coloured wiring diagram, making it easy to trace any original circuits. You can also download a Haynes from the internet... its all in black and white , but quite complete..

Any Older FCW " Classic will have lots of additionals... I carefully pencil, and label in the clymers Diagrams, all the changes I have added ... Back off, Voltmeter, etc...

SilverDave

tricky

Postby tricky » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:27 pm

gunny-usmc wrote:I didn't think it was a stock item, can't understand why the po would'nt instal a weather proof power point. I put one on my KLR years ago and never had an issue with it but like you said, mine powers the gps unit. I didn't have time to trace it today, took the wife on a nice ride for most of the day. I'll take things apart on the fairing Sunday, I have to make a repair to the right mirror anyways as it was flopping around, found it was missing a bolt. Seems the captive nut in the fairing had broken out at some point in the past and now needs some custom fab work to make the mirror solid again.

I still could use some info on the fuses though. the owners manual was written for monkeys it appears.

I shall take a snap of the top and post it tomorrow

tricky

Postby tricky » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Here it is but from 85, dont think there is any diff
Attachments

gunny-usmc

Postby gunny-usmc » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:37 pm

thanks, that picture is just what I needed. Got to fab up a mount for the pia hid's I just scored from a friend of mine. They were used on his last baja bike.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”