Front Brake 1986 A

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Taken From Water
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Front Brake 1986 A

Postby Taken From Water » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:41 pm

Hello everyone,

About a month ago my front brake locked up, so I drove home and opened the master cyclinder cap to release the pressure. Since then i have inspected and replaced and inspected some more but simmply can not bleed the system. The handle is spongy and i have pumped the darn thing for good 1/2 hour and still can not bleed it. the system does not seem to pressurrise.

any advice?

many thanks,

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Front Brake 1986 A

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:38 pm

Taken From Water wrote:Hello everyone,

About a month ago my front brake locked up, so I drove home and opened the master cyclinder cap to release the pressure. Since then i have inspected and replaced and inspected some more but simmply can not bleed the system. The handle is spongy and i have pumped the darn thing for good 1/2 hour and still can not bleed it. the system does not seem to pressurrise.

any advice?

many thanks,

I'd recommend using a vacuum bleeder like a Mity-Vac to suck down from the handle to the caliper - it's the only way I was ever able to successfully bleed my brakes.

joew7139
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A ASPENCADE

Postby joew7139 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:19 am

You might need to rebuild the master cylinder. If the rubber is too old it could be loosing pressure in the master cylinder and you can bleed it from now on and not get a firm handle. The locking up of the front brake also sounds like the return hole in the master cyl is blocked, and you can take care of that when you rebuild. When you rebuild the master cyl it would probable be best to rebuild the caliper also. If you don't do both at the same time the caliper could start leaking from the increase in pressure from the rebuilt master.
Brakes are one of the things that are not a good idea to try to save a few dollars on.

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:19 pm

Try loosening the banjo bolt on the master cylinder, place some rags under it It's like paint stripper, pull and hold the lever, tighten the bolt, do this a few times, if there is air in there this should allow it to escape.

Taken From Water
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby Taken From Water » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:13 pm

Thanks everyone for all the advice. The system is under pressure again thanks haven. In response to one of the posts I had rebuilt the Master cylinder that was not the problem. The problem was the way I was bleeding the system, and some errors I made on the way in the past two weeks. 1st thing if you own a cycle that uses DOT4 fluid DO NOT use ATF to clean the system ATF has a chemical reaction to DOT4. Beleave it or not I took samples to work and put it under the microscope. 2nd the process of bleeding is not like a car. An old cycle mechanic gave me the run down. Fill up the master, take the line out at the master cylinder put your finger on the exit hole pull and let the handle spring back three times does the trick and fluid would gush out. put the line at the back of master back on, and take the line out at the caliper put the banjo connection between your two fingers and pump the handle. you would fill the pressure building up release the fingers and do the process again. Three or four times would do the job. Bolt the banjo bolt the line back on the caliper and I promiss you two or three pumps and you would have the darn thing bled. It would take only three to five minutes. Some times I think I should have left the bike in the barn but it is coming together. thanks again for all the advice.

GO BROWNS

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”