Doing away with 85 1200 fairing

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Goldwing Interstate

Doing away with 85 1200 fairing

Postby midnightrider1 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:00 am

I have a 1985 1200 Goldwing I am wanting to remove the fairing and do away with it, its not best of shape had to bolt and nut the mirrors on for they would work that all busted up and the fairing is kind of just falling apart in places. Kind like to like to make it into a custom naked wing if that possible. I have road a lot of bikes over the years
I sure am having problems riding with a fairing I like to be able to see my front wheel and I can that's another reason. I've put new tires and rebuilt the forks. Maybe the bike is just to big for this old man. LOL Don't like all the wind that the fairing catches either like to blew me off the road yesterday crazy first time that has happen my butt was sure grabbing onto the seat lol was glad to gt back home. LOL

Don't like the floorboards either hard to shift and brake if your heel is not on the heel part of the floorboards that was something new to learn and friend of mind said whats up with these floorboards he has road wing quite a bit also.

Hope someone has some ideals. I check EBay for a fairing but wow the shipping and handling is crazy for a good fairing. If not guess I will do some more fixing and maybe sell for something that's not so top end heavy as well. Wow I like riding but when it gives you a scary feeling its not so fun. LOL

Never had these problems before but I am older and its been quite some time since I have rode.

Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Doing away with 85 1200 fairing

Postby Jaymom » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:54 am

Hello Frank,

Being new to GW's im not sure what actually comes off when you say "fairings" but I think I do. Im wondering if your's would end up looking like mine. I have a 1986 1200 Aspencade and I wouldnt change the front of mine I know that much. I like it just the way it is. I want to see the ground in front of me as I do now. I'll include the whole URL so you can see more than one picture of it. I went north of town here about two weeks ago and got caught in a pretty good rain storm and the wind was strong. I remember thinking that I was glad the wind didn't have more to push against because I had a hard time just staying in my own lane a number of times. It was a short rain shower but dangerous for a bike rider. But anyway, good luck with whatever you decide on.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”