MY BUTT HURTS ! SADDLEMEN SEAT ?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
wrightwing
Motorcycle: ''87 GL1200 Interstate''

MY BUTT HURTS ! SADDLEMEN SEAT ?

Postby wrightwing » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:05 pm

Has anyone bought a saddlemen seat for there 1200, and if so how do you like it. This bike I bought in jan., only has 57,000 mi. on it and is in mint condition, including the seat, but to me it's uncomfortable, and the family jewels are in my abdomen. :mrgreen: I'v never ridden a 1500 or newer, but its easy to see there is a longer tongue on it, are they more comfortable.

''NEVER TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, BUT ALWAYS TIME TO DO IT OVER''

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: MY BUTT HURTS ! SADDLEMEN SEAT ?

Postby SilverDave » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:24 am

Seats are sorta like shoes... Different people have differently shaped butts... and sadly, some fit and some don't. I had a non stock GL1200 seat that I worried about for a year, before I replaced it..
so
Realize that if the seat is in good to fair condition, lots of people would pay you a fair price,for a used Saddleman , if you want to sell it... and replace it with one that "fits" you , properly .

Secondly, they do make ( in-expensive ) gel pads that move a seat up from yucky to " Pretty good "
I had one installed IN my seat, under the cover to ease the pressure on the tailbone.... and it made a tremendous difference .. I have done many 600 km days with no problem .

Thirdly.. you may notice a lot of Wingers and the bigger harley riders with sheepskin on the seat pad...
There are " skin " shops on the internet, and in real life , too, that sell nice fluffy sheepskins cut to shape for babies, wheelchair victims... and yes... cut for a motorcycle . There is a shop about 200 km from here , in sheep country , where you can get a nice fluffy front pad for about $40.. and a full skin for both front and back for around $100.

There are several dealers on the internet that sell cut to shape skins with elastic hold-downs .

http://www.blacksheeptrading.com/mtrcyccov.html

However, having used several sheepskins, over a lifetime of travelling ... you don't really need those.. a carefully trimmed seat cover will more or less stay in place for most of a day.... and mmmmmMm they are Warm in winter and fall, cool in summer... and oh so comfy.. on any seat !!

scmoon
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby scmoon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:02 pm

I swear by the ROHO AirHawk cushion - similar technology that hospitals use for wheelchairs/ beds etc to prevent "bedsores".
Various suppliers on Ebay.....happy riding!

wrightwing

Postby wrightwing » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:08 pm

I'v noticed the corbin seats have a dimple where your but cheeks would be, more contoured, and would sit you lower on the bike. That would be nice. Have a look, and tell me what you think. Opinions, welcome. Thanks for your help so far guy's ;)

buffdaddy55
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade, 2002 GL1800-Illusion Red,1981 CB650C

Postby buffdaddy55 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:53 pm

Have a Corbin seat that the po installed. Is somewhat hard for long distances and FJ's get in a bind,but is good for short commutes. Looking to do an upgrade when funds permit.

wrightwing

Postby wrightwing » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:03 pm

What kind of an upgrade ? New seat, new foam ? What do you know about saddlemen seats. I think part of the problem with my seat is, the bike has so few miles and like new condition, the seat isn't broken in yet .

buffdaddy55
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade, 2002 GL1800-Illusion Red,1981 CB650C

Postby buffdaddy55 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:59 pm

p
Probably will get new cushioned,quilted seat.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”