1985 1200 timing belt problems

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
midnightrider1
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Goldwing Interstate

1985 1200 timing belt problems

Postby midnightrider1 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:17 am

On my 1985 1200 I have a problem with the left side on the outer and inner cover has about a 3/4 inch gap in it so I taken it apart think this won't be so bad that's what I get for thinking. LOL the inner left side timing cover is way to short I do have pictures. I think someone has put a 1100 head on the left side I think not sure of anything now.

now here is the inner cover that's is on my bike.

Ok here is a pic of the right side pully and the bolt pattern is like at 12 & 6 clock position

then the left side pully the bolt pattern is like 11 & 4 clock position

Yes the pully's are different which makes me believe that the left side head been change out. I don't know how to tell and if it is a 1100 head on the left side do I have a problem ? I have a bad oil leak gets all over my floor board and the gasket looks to be leaking and so far it don't look like it coming from the cam seal more from the valve cover. I been trying to get the right inner cover which should look like this I believe.

or like this I think I don't if there are different bolt patteren

Yes it runs wanted to fix the iol leak and the inner cover. right side has a 1200 pully on it the left side has a 1100 pully on it which makes me believe I have a 1100 head on it.
I am lost was doing good till I got to this part. Hope some one can set me on the right path again. :(

midnightrider1

Re: 1985 1200 timing belt problems

Postby midnightrider1 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:34 pm

Well what I have found out is looks to be a 1100 head on the left side so do I have a problem ? I gave $1000.00 for it put tires and did the fork seals so I've got about $1,400.00 in it is it worth fixing or is it a junk. I don't know, never work on a Honda and I have learn a lesson this old man has. being on Social Security I don't have money to throw away I just wanted to ride again but looks like I been taken for a ride.

trukr
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Postby trukr » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:34 pm

Yes I would definitely say something is wrong with this picture. You say it was running with that head on it? My question is how well was it running? Any odd noises like parts banking together internally? I would definitely get the correct head for that side and see what happens. Not sure who thought an 1100 head would be a good idea but its not. You can find a head on ebay for a decent price. Let us know how you make out.

midnightrider1

Postby midnightrider1 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:52 pm

trukr wrote:Yes I would definitely say something is wrong with this picture. You say it was running with that head on it? My question is how well was it running? Any odd noises like parts banking together internally? I would definitely get the correct head for that side and see what happens. Not sure who thought an 1100 head would be a good idea but its not. You can find a head on ebay for a decent price. Let us know how you make out.

Yes it was running and running pretty good once it got warm it sure get with it. Last time I took it for a ride I hammer it hard and it was gone I went 2 blocks before I knew what happen. Had a bad iol leak on left side. One reason who ever did the work on this bike didn't know a lot about fixing thing right the bolts that wholes the valve covers on well the metal washer that support the rubber washer was turn around back wards it was rubber washer then metal washer should of been metal washer rubber washer incerted into the valve cover I have fix things that has been done wrong and this is the very first time I have work on a Goldwing I haven't work on a bike for about 30 years now. I bought a cheap bike and its been a good project for me.
Thanks to these forums has been a lot of great help to me compter is a good thing to have now days. LOL

See what I do I haven't made my mind up but I may just go ahead and fix it right. Working off the front porch is a lot of fun lol keeps the neighbor watching and wonering what that crazy old man doing now. LOL

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”