86 gl 1200 aspencade

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Elvis1
Motorcycle: 1986 GL 1200 aspencade

86 gl 1200 aspencade

Postby Elvis1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:08 pm

The wiring harness to the main fuse/selinoid got so hot it partially melted. What would cause this excessive heat build up?

tricky

Re: 86 gl 1200 aspencade

Postby tricky » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Poor connection, on the plug going to the solenoid

be careful or this might happen
Attachments

Elvis1
Motorcycle: 1986 GL 1200 aspencade

Postby Elvis1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:10 pm

Tricky, Thanks for your reply.Picture looks a bit familiar though mine is not quite that bad yet but is well on it's way!! Cleaned the posts on the bottom part of the plug which has the 30 amp dogbone fuse in it today. The top part of the plug with the wires going into it is pretty toasty with the one large red wire having a bubble formed from the heat build up. No way to clean the connectors in the top part of the plug,can't get to them and don't know if they are made to be able to be pulled out of the plastic connector housing anyway??? I used some spray electrical cleaner on the top part. The whole thing,top and bottom part of the plug, looks like it almost melted together. I let it dry well,put dielectric compound on/in it pluged it back up hoping all of this had helped. I got stranded on the side of the highway yestrday waitng for it to cool down enough to start back up. It's as if part of the circuit is thermaly protected somehow??? Heats up, especially when the cooling fan kicks in and starts drawing amps, then the whole electrical system shuts off just like there is no battery in the bike at all!! When it cools back off everything comes back to life. Anyway, plugged it back in together started the bike and within approx. 5 minutes the temp of the red wire had already reached 258 degrees, the voltage regulator had reached 138 degrees which may be OK, I don't know. But the temp of the red wire prompted me to shut it down before it fried in front of my eyes!! Is the starter solenoid made seperate from the main fuse housing or does it come as one unit together?? Thanks for any help you or others might be able/willing to help with, Tim

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:15 pm

My guess would be the dog bone fuse... go to a marine shop, get a LARGE ( 10 or 12 ga ) blade fuse holder, and a 40 amp ( red, I think ) blade fuse..
when the dog bone fuse ( one of Honda's WORST inventions) partially cracks, all the current must go through less metal cross section.. and it heats up like mad... Just replace it , and see if your thermal issues vanish .

SilverDave

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”