my bike will not fire

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
dotboy
Motorcycle: 1985
gl1200

my bike will not fire

Postby dotboy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:09 pm

my dads bike a 1985 gl1200 will crank but wont start
i replaced the dog bone fuse and cleaned all the conections there at the sedonoid switch
ithought that fixed it .it started just fine then died and now wont start.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: my bike will not fire

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:05 am

The dog bone fuse will kill the whole bike.
Compression,spark,and fuel mixture are needed to fire a engine.
It did start once,so you can eliminate compression.
Pull one plug wire and attach a spare plug to it,lay it on the block and crank the engine to verify spark.
If it's there,then only thing left is no fuel getting to the cylinders.
Also look at the plug condition for tell signs of engine condition,eg wet,sooty black,tan etc.

mk197523
Motorcycle: Ducati Multistrada 1200

Re: my bike will not fire

Postby mk197523 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:51 am

If your bike cranks but wont start, these four has to be checked; fuses, connections, switches & battery condition. If battery condition is great and you've got good loads of fuel, then check the fuses, connections and switches. The easiest place to start is with the air filter. If a lot of gas has got in the crankcase, it can easily pump an oily mess into your airbox through the crankcase breather. If you do find an oily mess, correct this problem with the petcocks and/or carbs. Obviously you'll need to change your oil and filter, and your plugs might be fouled as well. Next, check the spark. If you have an ignition tester, you know what to do. Otherwise... remove each spark plug, ground it against the engine and see if you have a bright healthy spark. Remember: Don't crank the engine with spark plug caps not attached to the plugs, or with the plugs not grounded to the engine, you could damage the coils. If you have air - fuel - spark and the bike won't start, it's hard to imagine losing compression 'overnight', but a compression check is in order.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”