Markland Driver Floorboards - Need a brake lever

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
desertrefugee
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Markland Driver Floorboards - Need a brake lever

Postby desertrefugee » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi folks,

New member here and I hate to start out with a question - but that's what these forums are for...right?

I recently acquired a lovingly maintained, one-owner '84 Aspencade. Needing only minor cosmetic attention (mainly cleaning) I have thrown a few chrome bits at it and picked up a decent set of Markland driver floorboards - to complete the passenger and Markland highway boards.

Well, I've wanted driver floorboards and now I have them. So, the left (shifter) side is workable with the stock shifter, but will require some finesse in changing gears. I will need a heel/toe or longer shifter lever pretty quickly but can get by for now.

But, the real show-stopper tonight is the brake lever. There's no way on God's green earth I can use the stock brake pedal.

I've searched this forum (and others) for tips on what my alternatives are, but haven't come up with anything solid yet. Does anyone have specific knowledge on what I should be looking for as a replacement?

Thanks.

Bummer.

dan1951
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Re: Markland Driver Floorboards - Need a brake lever

Postby dan1951 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:49 pm

I,m not familiar with the floorboard setup, Is there any chance of posting a picture with the interference zone clearly in it?

desertrefugee

Postby desertrefugee » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. This board setup is the solid aluminum variety as opposed to the chromed steel tubing. I believe I have found pedals for both sides that will work.

But, others should be aware that these boards definitely require alternate controls.

Photos attached.
Attachments
See the interference here
See the interference here
Need a pedal that arches over the aluminum
Need a pedal that arches over the aluminum

dan1951
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200a

Postby dan1951 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Thanks for the picture posting, I see Your dilemma. I thought a little heating & twiking and refinishing would solve Your problem but after seeing the pic,s no way. I,m glad to hear You found replacements that will work for You. Good luck with all.

berlie

Postby berlie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:11 pm

hi there i had the same problem with my bike so i ordered a long shifter belonging to a virgo. i cut and welded it to the shape to go under the floorboord it works perfect hope this helps you.
Bruce

desertrefugee

Postby desertrefugee » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:22 pm

This story has a happy ending. A great fellow over on the GL1200 forum had the exact controls I needed (both sides). They actually were from the precise model boards I had.

Talk about luck.

I am all set and appreciate the thoughts here, as well. I've attached a couple of photos. A truly fine setup. Very well made.
Attachments
Shifter side (before much needed adjustment)
Shifter side (before much needed adjustment)
Brake side. PO cut the heel rest off this one.  I'm glad he did.  Don't think I'd want a heel on this side.
Brake side. PO cut the heel rest off this one. I'm glad he did. Don't think I'd want a heel on this side.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”