Blown main fuse,switch vibrates and rpm needle moves

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
peluka
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Interstate

Blown main fuse,switch vibrates and rpm needle moves

Postby peluka » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:36 pm

I know sounds terrible,but I just got a Honda Goldwing 1984,1200cc ,Interstate,from my neighbor,bike is in good shape(Body) but this is what happen when I connect the battery: main fuse located by the start selenoid blows. If I lefted for more than 2 minutes connected.When I put the fuse back with the ignition on,the RPM needle go up to 7000rpm and stays there (engine off) and a vibration sounds coming from the turn signal switch,I disconnected 1 of wires from the stator,power consumption goes down but still burning the fuse,I disconnected the 3 wires from alternator and still a heavy load at the fuse and the humming sound from the turn signal switch still there and the rpm needle stays on 7000rpm with ignition on,engine off,fuse blow after 5 minutes,I'm lost,please any help?.I cant see any bad wire or home made connection,everything looks as factory installed.why the turn signal switch vibrates?
Thanks for you help!!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Blown main fuse,switch vibrates and rpm needle moves

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:44 am

You've got a bad short somewhere up in the instrument panel area. I would be hesitant to keep replacing the main fuse - if it's shorted enough to blow that fuse, it's drawing in excess of 30 amps, and sooner or later you're going to have wires start to melt.

I would start by replacing the main fuse with a 12 volt light bulb. The bulb will light up when current is being drawn heavily (i.e. a short) but will limit the amount of current being drawn, so that you don't have wires melting while you track down your short.

Next, I'd pull all the fuses. This *should* cause the light bulb to go off. Then replace them one at a time to see which one causes the light bulb to turn back on - this will at least narrow down which circuit has the short, so you can have a good idea of where to start looking.

Start with that and get back to us!

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:10 pm

Tracking a short is a painfully slow process...

To make it easier, buy ( or borrow ) a Clymer GL1200 manual ...it has a coloured wiring diagram in it.

You have to follow each wire from the circuit thats causing the blowing , as described by " Wing Admin " above : pull all fuses, until you find the one thats shorting .

Tank off, seat off, and fingers slowly following each wire to its very end. One of all those coloured wires is clearly shorting to ground... but its not a light or horn wire, cause that would blow almost immediately.

If tracing with a fingertip, moving each wire a bit does not work... Find a GWRRA member who owns or used to own a 1200.. They will have a sixth sense about which wires are most likely to short out. The wires near the steering column often go first, because of the moving... Start there !

And if all that doesn't work. there is an ( expensive ) tool to borrow or buy..
It injects a oscillating variable frequency into a 12 volt line, so that you can use a sensor to quickly scan along each possible line... Around here it was about $150 or so... I always wanted one, but it seems a bit much, specially since I have found all MY shorts with a fingertip tracing .

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:24 pm

Ouch.I'll add a little to this.
If I had to guess,and I mean a guess.The battery was put in backward.
The reason I say this is that you have so many symptoms.
The tach is electronic.It operates from the ignition module.
The hum in the turn signal switch is the release solenoid constantly energized.The canceler module is likley shorted out.
Heavy load with the stator wires unhooked may be the rectifier/regulator shorted.

Yes,use the lamp in place of the fuse.Pull the false tank.Start by unplugging the regulator and canceler module.
I have a schematic and a gl1200,I'll help if I can.

peluka

Postby peluka » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:09 pm

Guys thanks a lot,this weekend will be dedicated to find the short,again thanks a lot,i will keep you posted with my progress,again thank you!!!

peluka

Postby peluka » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:07 pm

OK guys Saturday and I did this:
Remove plastics(covers)
Disconnected stator wires ---short still
disconnected main harness (around battery)--short still
disconnected all the brains ,relays and other boxes ...short stay
NOW listen to this On the harness coming from the ignition switch there are 6 wires,the 2 big ones RED and BLACK
if I disconnect the switch by the fuel tank on big rectangular connector,the short disappears,
NOW I did check the RED wire it comes from battery,BLACK wire is ground when I tested it it's grounded, I did remove the ignition switch and look inside the ignition switch there is a BRIDGE that put together BLACK and RED when switch is in "on" position.Ignition switch is like new,no problem found there.
I did request the schematic to the gentleman that reply on my post,my question is,the BIG BLACK wire it's ground or it feed something and the BLACK wire is grounded somewhere?...thanks

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Black wire feeds switched 12 volts to the bike.I'll include the schematic.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:21 pm

This is the ignition schematic for the 1200. Click on it for the full-size image.

GL1200 Ignition Circuit
GL1200 Ignition Circuit

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”