radio noise

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
buckshot98
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

radio noise

Postby buckshot98 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:26 pm

Recently bought a very nice 86 1200 Interstate with low miles, it has of course Honda's in dash AM/FM radio and Honda's CB radio, but there's way to much noise and popping and cracking in the the speakers along with engine noise, both with the radio and CB, so I have a couple of questions. What would cause all the noise ? and how might i go about fixing it ? also I'm thinking of putting a second antenna on the left side for just the CB radio, can some one tell me which cable coming out of the back of the CB is for the antenna ? I want to cut it and put a standard CB PL259 connector in the line and run coax cable to an independent CB antenna.. Thks for any suggestions and advice

Tony

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: radio noise

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:39 pm

buckshot98 wrote:Recently bought a very nice 86 1200 Interstate with low miles, it has of course Honda's in dash AM/FM radio and Honda's CB radio, but there's way to much noise and popping and cracking in the the speakers along with engine noise, both with the radio and CB, so I have a couple of questions. What would cause all the noise ? and how might i go about fixing it ? also I'm thinking of putting a second antenna on the left side for just the CB radio, can some one tell me which cable coming out of the back of the CB is for the antenna ? I want to cut it and put a standard CB PL259 connector in the line and run coax cable to an independent CB antenna.. Thks for any suggestions and advice

Tony

You can add a second antenna, but in my experience with the GL1100, the antenna splitter and single antenna does an admirable job. One of the main problems with two antennas (one of which is not transmitting) in close proximity to one another is that the second (AM/FM) antenna will affect the output of the CB antenna during transmitting.

For the most part, the noise in the radio and CB is not from the antenna, but from the power - primarily the rectifier. I've tried every type of choke, filter, coil, capacitor and more - and nothing has killed the noise. The rectifier is just by nature noisy - it's designed for motorcycles, which don't typically have audio systems, so noisy power is not normally an issue.

buckshot98

Postby buckshot98 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:40 pm

OK thanks, have reconsidered my options, think i will take the AM/FM radio of the antenna put my Sirius Radio receiver in the line then run my coax to a single CB antenna of better quality on the right side, thanks for the reply.

tricky

Postby tricky » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:24 pm

If you put a voltmeter on the bike, possibly you will notice the noise starts at above 14.2 v and gets worse until it is reading 15Volts
this may help,

I solved the noise problem when I installed an external alternator that has an internal Voltage regulator at 14.2

This is from another forum

There are a lot of threads about voltmeters that read incorrectly or batteries that are being overcharged by the regulator. There is a common denominator and a fix.

The voltmeter isn't connected to the battery, it's connected to the electrical system. System and battery values are different due to connections and line loss. The older the bike, the more prone it is to have a wider variance between system and battery. Some as much as 1.5 volts. It's okay if you're smart enough to add 1.5 volts to the voltmeter reading, but there is downside. It causes the regulator to overcharge the battery.

The regulator sees the same voltage as the meter. 1.5 volts less than actual battery voltage. So it kicks the voltage from a nominal 14.x to 15 volts or better. And that's too high. Most charging systems are regulated to 14.2-14.4.

Here's the fix.

Break the ignition wire to the regulator, use it to close a relay that provides power from the battery to the regulator. Now the regulator sees actual battery voltage and regulates correctly. The nice thing is, you've also provided a tap so the voltmeter reads the actual battery voltage as well.
Attachments

buckshot98

Postby buckshot98 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:54 pm

OK, thanks for your information, I'll figure something out, the external Alt seams to be expensive.
Thanks

greatketch
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Postby greatketch » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:20 pm

hmmm,, interesting to hear about radio noise. I recently acquired a 1985 1200GL and thought the radio was bad because of age. The thought that it also may have poor sound as a cause related to the design of the wiring scheme had not occurred to me

I had thought of ignoring the radio and the speakers and thinking that the entire system may need to be replaced. I am curious to know what radios GW'ers are using in their 1985 1200GL bikes.

tricky

Postby tricky » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:41 pm

I am still using the Honda radio and CB from new in my 85 ASpy.

Weather is thine enemy, keep your bike covered or in a garage at all times when not riding.

buckshot98

Postby buckshot98 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Yes I also would like to know what type replacements you wingers have used to replace OME stuff..
Thanks.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”