1986 Gl1200 SEi Excessive Fuel-Sputter and Stall

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
ChuckyT33
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi

1986 Gl1200 SEi Excessive Fuel-Sputter and Stall

Postby ChuckyT33 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi All,
I am new to this site, but have been at the GL1200 and Saunders sites. I have a problem with my Wing and have systematically having a mech look into it. So far no resolution. Have some ideas forwarded from the other sites and am looking for more solutions if you care to advise.

I have a 1986 GL1200 SEi. Bought it last fall and rode it from Red Deer Alberta to Vancouver BC with no problems. It has 50,000 miles on it. Back in August, I had a couple of minor stutters so decided to run some Sea Foam through the fuel and also added some to oil. Within just a few kms it started missing horribly and stalling and just running like crap. I put 2/3rds of a can of Sea Foam into the fuel and rest into oil and it appears this was linked to the problem. Got it to a mech and he changed the plugs which were black, changed the oil, and did a basic check. Within a couple of kms same problem reoccured. I rode the bike around locally sputtering and burned out the fuel. Filled it with regular and took it to a more advanced mech. He checked air filter, fuel filter, fuel regulator, engine balance, plugs, fuel pump and also replaced the fuel filter which seemed to be ok.

I took the bike out and within minutes the same problem returned. It now appears that the problem is NOT a lack of fuel but an EXCESSIVE amount of fuel getting through the system and causing the plugs to blacken, and bike to sputter. Currently mech is checking the temp and air sensors to see if they are ok. But then where do we go? Anyone who may be familiar with the SEi and in particular this problem, well, I would really appreciate a systematic list of where you would go with this. I love the bike. But that means little if I cannot ride the darned thing. Hopefully a step by step process of elimination will resolve this. I have gotten advice on 1. Check the sensors.
2. Check the TPS-throttle position sensor.
3. Check the pre-filter for the fuel pump (which I have not been able to locate)
4. Check the injectors.

If you have any other suggestions or have experienced this problem, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Best,
Chuck

fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

Re: 1986 Gl1200 SEi Excessive Fuel-Sputter and Stall

Postby fastf » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:33 pm

Chucky there isn't a prefilter on the fuel injected 1200's.the only filter I know of is the fuel filter.Has the mechanic checked the fuel pressure regulator that also could be dumping to much fuel into the injectors into the combustion chambers .Like I told you if you really like the bike and want to make things simpler just go on and replace the throttle body you could rob the parts off of it or just replace it all together instead of guessing.

ChuckyT33
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi

Postby ChuckyT33 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi Fastf,
Have been through a whole list of things with my mechanic. He did check the fuel pressure regulator and that was fine. Good to know there is no pre filter, it was something driving us nuts, as there was not one to be found anywhere.

He is currently working on the temperature sensors as he figures it may be the cause. He is also checking all electrical connections as he goes along and using the di electric grease to make sure they are not a problem in the future. As soon as he is done with the sensors , and if they are not the problem, there is really not much left, we have the throttle body and the TPS. Wouldn't even know where to go after that. So am hoping that he is getting close to solving it. I do really like the bike. Now, if we need sensors and a throttle body, where would you suggest I begin to look. There was some talk that the 1986 Honda Civic SEi uses the same sensors, but I cannot confirm that. Would Honda still stock something like the throttle body?

fastf
Motorcycle: 2003 honda goldwing

Postby fastf » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:23 am

Ebay has parts off of SEI and LTD I have seen complete throttle bodies.Try Western Honda sad as it to say the fuel injected 1200 parts are getting hard to come by.That is why if you see a complete throttle body and you want to keep that fuel injected 1200 running I would buy one .You can rob parts off of it or just replace the whole thing.A lot of these parts came off of low mileage bikes and look for a warranty.If you could find a parts bike you would be way in the ball park .Any how keep everyone posted you are learning as well as teaching people in the forums if they have the same problems with their 1200 fuel injected you may not realize.Take care and May God Bless.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”