ALTERNATOR ON POORBOY KIT ISSUES

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
mcbchild
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade, 1996 Honda Shadow VT1100C

ALTERNATOR ON POORBOY KIT ISSUES

Postby mcbchild » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Anyone have any issues with the alternator used on the geo metro in our goldwings overcharging?
I have an '84 GL1200 and at times, I can smell burning wires when I am riding on the highways. When I installed the kit, the first alternator I purchased thru ebay was terrible and tested the charging of the alternator at 15 volts at idle, but at around 3k-4k rpms, I was seeing 17 or 18 volts. The alternator I purchase was on ebay and from USA Industries. Avoid them like the plague. I purchased another alternator from Napa and tested fine. from 14 volts to 15.5 volts all the way from idle to about 4k rpms.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: ALTERNATOR ON POORBOY KIT ISSUES

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:20 pm

mcbchild wrote:Anyone have any issues with the alternator used on the geo metro in our goldwings overcharging?
I have an '84 GL1200 and at times, I can smell burning wires when I am riding on the highways. When I installed the kit, the first alternator I purchased thru ebay was terrible and tested the charging of the alternator at 15 volts at idle, but at around 3k-4k rpms, I was seeing 17 or 18 volts. The alternator I purchase was on ebay and from USA Industries. Avoid them like the plague. I purchased another alternator from Napa and tested fine. from 14 volts to 15.5 volts all the way from idle to about 4k rpms.

Burning wires should not be due to overvoltage - overvoltage will cook your battery and fry electronics, but will not overheat wiring. Overheating wiring normally comes from too much current being drawn.

You can put 100,000 volts through a wire the size of your hair, and if there is very little current being drawn, it won't heat up at all. It's the amperage (current) that requires thick wires to prevent overheating.

mcbchild
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Goldwing Aspencade, 1996 Honda Shadow VT1100C

Postby mcbchild » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:02 pm

Not sure what is going on yet, but I noticed the smell of burning wires when I just had the radio on while riding with the normal lights on. Everything is factory except for the conversion kit. Also, when I first start the bike and turn the handle bars all the way to the right, the bike will dies as in all power is gone. Once I turn the handle bars back, the power will come back and I can restart the bike.

Also, once the bike is warmed up, I can turn the handle bars again, the power stays on and the bike will not die. Any idea why that is happening?

trukr
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Postby trukr » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:20 pm

I have the geo metro alternator on my 84 gl1200 and have had no issues. Sounds like you might want to check the plug and or wires going to your ignition switch. They sometimes melt and cause the issue you are having when turning your handle bars. My bike tests out at 14.2 volts at 2500 rpm which is right in the normal range. No change when running radio etc.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”