1986 GL1200A Speedometer and Signal Cancel Issues

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A

1986 GL1200A Speedometer and Signal Cancel Issues

Postby garrettrobert » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:28 pm

I have a 1986 GL1200A about a year ago the speedometer and the turn signal cancel feature quit working. I wiggled all the harness connections on the left side of the fairing and it started working and remained working for about a year. It quit working again and wiggling doesnt work any more. I looked at the shop manual that is on this site and it showed that the speedometer and cancel function have a control module in common that is for the turn signals it was supposed to be located under the coils.
It also said to test a brown 9 pin connector located just to the left of the left coil. The brown connector that I have is only 6 pin. Also the lean angle switch for the signal cancel located in the bottom of the head tube the book showed 3 wires coming off of it, mine has a 4 pin connector and 2 other wires that lead to the 6 pin brown connector that I mentioned before. Unlike the diagram in the shop manual I dont see any common connections for speedometer and turn signal cancel on my bike. Im sure that the problem is just a bad connection at one of the harness plugs or a bad ground but I dont know where to look on my bike since it doesnt match the one in the manual. Thanks for any help you can give.

Re: 1986 GL1200A Speedometer and Signal Cancel Issues

Postby tricky » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:18 am

Did you test the speedometer sensor unit?

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”