Recall notifications for my '84 GL1200 Interstate

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
harkgold
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Recall notifications for my '84 GL1200 Interstate

Postby harkgold » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:48 pm

I just acquired an '84 GL1200 Interstate from a friend that I'm in the process of restoring.

I'm wondering if there is a way to find out if there had been any factory recalls on this bike when it was new and what the details were of the recalls.

Would I need to contact the Honda home office for that kind of information, or is this kind of information readily available somewhere online?

Thanks for your help!

Harkgold :?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Recall notifications for my '84 GL1200 Interstate

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:49 am

I think you'll have trouble getting Honda to admit that your GL1200 is actually a Honda. They tend to abandon the older bike owners in terms of support, parts, etc.

You can always check the NHTSA recall database, that works for any vehicle: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

A search there shows the only recall for your bike is this one:

Make: HONDA Model: GL1200
Model Year: 1984
Manufacturer: AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO. Mfr's Report Date: MAY 25, 1984
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 84V067000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH
Potential Number of Units Affected: 28,750
Summary:
SWITCH COVER WHICH PROVIDES FOR A GOOD WIRE CONNECTION COULD BECOME LOOSE AND POSSIBLY CAUSE LOSS OF ALL ELECTRICAL FUNCTIONS.
Consequence:
Remedy:
THE IGNITION SWITCH WIRING HARNESS WILL BE REPLACED ALONG WITH THE SWITCH COVER. THE COVER IS INSTALLED TO ENSURE PROPER WIRE CONNECTION.
Notes:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTORCYCLES.SYSTEM: ELECTRICAL; IGNITION SWITCH WIRING HARNESS.CONSEQUENCES OF DEFECT: ENGINE COULD SHUT OFF WHILE VEHICLE IS IN OPERATION,POSSIBLY RESULTING IN AN ACCIDENT.

harkgold

Postby harkgold » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:21 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I think you'll have trouble getting Honda to admit that your GL1200 is actually a Honda. They tend to abandon the older bike owners in terms of support, parts, etc.

Thanks WingAdmin.

If this is the case it's sad to think that Honda is so short sighted that they have not learned that it is their former and present product owners that may become future product owners and are the ones that help to promote Honda products so that others may become future product owners.

I appreciate your help!

Harkgold

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:53 pm

The $24 question is, will they still do the recall being this old? I know mine was never done and needs to be.
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

harkgold

Postby harkgold » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:04 pm

starfleetengineer wrote:The $24 question is, will they still do the recall being this old? I know mine was never done and needs to be.

Thanks for the additional info regarding recalls. I'm quite certain that as old as the bike is that any recalls would now be void.

Just a little FYI for you though:
Just for the heck of it I sent Honda Corporate a letter asking if there had been any recalls on my specific Gold Wing. I included the VIN, Frame, engine and color numbers. I also told them that I had done an on-line search for recalls and came up with nothing. I also told them of a comment that I received from someone saying that Honda seems to have given the impression that they tend forget about the older Honda bikes and owners and predominantly only seems to focus on their new products and customers.
About a week after sending the letter I received a phone call at home from Honda Corporate. A very nice sounding lady said she was calling in response to my letter and cordially congratulated me on acquiring my '84 Interstate and proceeded to ask several questions about myself and the bike. (Just to make conversation I think).
She then went on to answer my letter by telling me that according to the VIN and other serial numbers that I gave her that they found no records of any recalls on my particular bike at all. And the thought came to my mind.......NONE??????? She also stated that recall information is pretty easy to find on line if in fact there were any recalls. However, if there were no recalls, she said the downside is that there is noting on line that tells you there were no recalls, thus giving the impression that recall information is very difficult to locate, when in reality there were none to locate.
However, having a skeptical or suspicious nature, I wonder if they really checked. Seems you can't trust anyone anymore. And.....how would I ever
know??

Harkgold

starfleetengineer
Motorcycle: 1979 Yamaha 650 Special
1978 CB750
1980 Yamaha 650 Special
1983 Honda V65 Magna 1100c
1984 GL1200I Interstate

Postby starfleetengineer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:03 pm

I guess they don't bother to check the internet. Anyone can push the keys and bring up anything :P I think it's just their way of saying, we don't want to pay for it :!: Call your local Honda shop and see if they say the same thing... I'm going to call mine this weekend.
How many times do I have to tell ya,,, The right tool for the right job!

harkgold

Postby harkgold » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:47 pm

starfleetengineer wrote:I guess they don't bother to check the internet. Anyone can push the keys and bring up anything :P I think it's just their way of saying, we don't want to pay for it :!: Call your local Honda shop and see if they say the same thing... I'm going to call mine this weekend.

Yes, you are probably right!
I'd be interested in knowing what kind of response you receive.
Harkgold

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”