Fuel pump question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
harkgold
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Fuel pump question

Postby harkgold » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:39 pm

I'm recently the new owner of an '84 GL1200 Interstate that has been in storage for a little over seven years and I'm in the process of starting up the engine.

The engine starter spins the engine beautifully.......there is spark at the plugs....but it is not getting fuel. The tank is clean as a whistle....I replace the fuel lines and in-line filter but when I turn the ignition key to the ON position and hit the starter button I do not hear any noise coming from the fuel pump.

I disconnected the pump at the two pin power cord connection and plugged in my two leads of my test light. I turned the key to the ON position and the test bulb DID NOT come on. I then hit that start button and presto the test bulb did come on and stayed on after I released the start button.

If I am interpreting this correctly, this is indicating to me that the fuel pump is getting power and the pump is defective.

When the bike was placed in storage seven years ago the carbs and fuel tank were drained. However, is it possible that any fuel that was left in the fuel pump has probably turned to varnish and has mucked up the inside of the pump making it useless? And if this is the case, can the pump be overhauled?

Thanks,

Harkgold

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: Fuel pump question

Postby HALBUDD » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:26 pm

If you take the fuel line going to carbs off and attach a hose to it and place it in a bucket try starting the bike and see if it is pumping out fuel. I dont know if they can be rebuilt but if you do a search above on fuel pumps you can use a car fuel pump I think from a mazda but cant remember. Also if you can get some seafoam in to the fuel pump and let it set for a while it will clean out the varnish.Again look at the search I have seen the posts on fuel pump change out. Good Luck Hal P.S. it is a honda prelude fuel pump I just looked it up
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

tricky

Postby tricky » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:11 am

You would think that the test you did showed that there was voltage to the pump but there might not be sufficient. It could be the relay not sending sufficient voltage to the pump.

Do this test:

Turn the ignition switch off. Disconnect the fuel pump relay from the coupler under the ignition coils.
Short the white and black wire coupler terminals with a jumper wire.
Disconnect the fuel pump outlet line at the 3-way joint and hold a graduated beaker under the tube.
Turn the ignition switch on, let fuel flow into the beaker for 5 seconds, then turn the ignition switch off.
Multiply the amount in the beaker by 12 to determine the fuel pump flow capacity per minute.

Fuel Pump Minimum Flow: 500 cc (1 6.9 oz)/minute

It probably is because of sitting around, the Seafoam idea might work.

Possible fuel pumps replacement, might need a little accommodating

1. 85 Honda Prelude fuel pump
2. Airtex e8316 ( bought at Advanced)

harkgold
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Postby harkgold » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks guys! I will give these tips a try and then replace the fuel pump if I ultimately find it is not working. I will also try using my voltage tester at the fuel pump leads to see if the power is sufficient. I assume that the pump runs on 12 volts.

Thanks again!

Harkgold :)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”