cb radio

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
gcastle3
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 interstate

cb radio

Postby gcastle3 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:23 pm

I am looking for a cb radio for my 1986 1200I, with all the connections, I am also interested in a group that have 1986 1200, does anyone know of such a group in the Phoenix area?

baba67
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1997 GL1500 SE W/ Voyager trike kit

Re: cb radio

Postby baba67 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:10 pm

I just recently saw one on ebay for a very reasonable price. Just be sure to get your self the junction box as well. I learned about it's function here on this forum. I installed a NOS unit I purchased on ebay. It's not real difficult but my 86 aspencade did not have the required junction box installed. I hope this helps you in the install.....

roondog
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200LTD

Postby roondog » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:01 pm

CB on my 85 LTD never transmitted since I bought it. I bought it over a year ago and the seller said he never used the CB. Anyhow, I could listen to others and even though the CB showed TX for transmit, nobody heard a peep from me.
Junction box? There is what Jeff, at Sierra Electronics called it a voice modulator if that is what someone calls a junction box that work in conjunction to the CB. There is a box that the cords feed into from the driver and passenger plug ins.
Come to find out, it was the CB'sproblem all along. When it is in the bike, power is supplied to it all the time. When jeff had it, he found out that when power was initially applied, it would work for up to an hour then would not work again until power was completely cut off and then re-applied. Replaced he PLL? and a plug. I have yet to put it back in the bike but Jeff has assured me all is well and with power applied to it all the time, there would be no problem.
That little box (voice modulator) is a reall bear to get out. It sets deep, up in the left sie of the fairing. It seems it must be there for the CB to work. I would love to by-pass it but the Honda line CB isn't set up for that.
Has anybody found a way for this box not to be there?
Attachments
good ole girl
good ole girl

baba67

Postby baba67 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:53 am

Hi Roondog...
The junction box I am refering to, actually mounts to the rear of the cb unit on the 4 treaded studs on the back side. My 86 Aspencade did not come with it and I had to locate one on ebay.
I just purchased a AudioVox FM modulator from Sierra last week, but I purchased the unit to connect my GPS, Ipod, Etc. to operate thru my radio on a dedicated frequency...I got tired of using the small RF transmitter type because of signal issues...

Take a look at this schematics that's available here in the Manuals download section and while you there check out the Gl1200 CB installation instructions as well.
NOTE:: very little is actually said about the "Junction Box"
I forget if you mentioned that your intercom system is working or not?

http://www.goldwingdocs.com/Docs/Honda% ... 0Component%
Attachments

tricky

Postby tricky » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:29 pm

The picture above it the Headset junction box, on the LTD editions this is a standard part on Aspy it is an option. It is required to have the intercom.

The Box in the front of the amplifier is referred to as the terminal component or multichanger, it has a couple of relays which cut the radio sound off when the CB RF/TS sound is present.

No it cant be done without if one uses the CB
Attachments

baba67

Postby baba67 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:52 am

Thank you Tricky,
I stand corrected.
I thought the junction box was optional on all models....
Here at the gl1200 forum we learn something OLD every day.....LOL
Thanks again...

tricky

Postby tricky » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:51 am

When One adds the CB to the system, it requires the headset junction box, only because of the orientation of the 5PIN Din's.

Using the Intercom alone one would use the front and rear connections to the headsets.

When the CB is introduced, the front headset connection is routed to the multichanger and the two cables from that then go to the front and rear headsets.

baba67

Postby baba67 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Thank you for the info...

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”