Timeing belt change

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1986 Gold wing Aspencade

Timeing belt change

Postby mcfirefighter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:52 pm

Guy I just want to know something I am going to change my timing belts on my 86 Aspencade my question is do I need to take the water pump and radiator off before removing the timing belt cover. I am real nerves about doing this my self not much on timing crap. Can someone advise if this has to be done thanks much MCFF :roll: :roll: :roll:

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Timeing belt change

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:18 pm

The water pump does not need to come off. You can do it without removing the radiator, but it is MUCH easier to do it if you do.

Have you read up on the procedure? It's not difficult, you just need to make sure you follow the instructions correctly, and be careful at each step.

Motorcycle: 2008 goldwing

Postby alsryd » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:41 pm

You do not need to remove the rad to do this. It is easier if you do, but you can just move it forward on the bottom. The cam gears have the word "UP" on them. Rotate the engine until UP in straight up. There is also a line on the same gear at 90 degrees to UP. Line up this mark to a mark on the outer edge of the engine case.

There is also a plug on top of the engine case toward the rear of the engine with a large screwdriver type slot. This roughly the same size as your oil filler plug. Remove this plug and look in the hole to see the timing marks on the flywheel. When properly timed, the cam gears will be with the word UP to the top, the lines on the gear aligned with the mark on the engine case, and if you look in the hole at the flywheel, you will see a mark T1.

Remove old belts, and install the new ones. One cam may turn on you due to the compression of the valve springs when you remove the old belt. Just rotate it back when installing new belt. All timing marks must be aligned perfectly when going back together. There is no such thing as close enough or a half tooth off, it is either perfect or it is wrong.

Let the springs on the tensioners take up the slack in the new belts. You can pre load the tensioners only slightly or they will howl upon start up if too tight.

This is not a hard job, but has to be done correctly, or engine performance or damage can result.

One other note, If you remove the radiator, be sure when reinstalling it that the small hose from the rad to the surge tank does not get pinched or kinked. This will result in engine overheating. This is easy to do if the hose is routed on the wrong side of the frame crossmember.

I suggest you buy, or borrow a shop manual and study up on this procedure, as I said, it is not that difficult, but you have to understand what you are trying to do. Worst case scenerio would be if it way out of time upon start up, you will have bent valves and a ruined engine. Good luck

Motorcycle: GL1800, GL1500

Postby englishted » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:34 am

The job is easier and faster with the radiator removed. This link has instructions and video:

Motorcycle: GL1200, 1986

Postby badwing1200 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:02 am

This should embed the video here.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”