87 Aspy Radiator fan

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
steve allen
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

87 Aspy Radiator fan

Postby steve allen » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Was running today, (alot of traffic this time of year) and noticed while sitting forever at red light, my temp climbed into red, but the fan never came on. As soon as I was able to get moving, temp dropped down, but again, temp got up by the time I got where I was going, and heard no fan, and overflow was bubbling some. Checked fuse for fan, not blown, is there a way to tease fan motor to come on to test run? Or, where is the temp switch and can it be tested to see if bad? I noticed alot this past summer that temp got up high, but never checked on fan until today, and it was not running. The Honda shop told me that the fan should keep motor from getting too hot, and I found mine not working today. Thanks for any and all advise. Steve

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 87 Aspy Radiator fan

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:22 am

The fan has +12V on one side of it, the other wire goes to the thermo switch, which completes the circuit to ground when it reaches a set temperature, thereby turning the fan on.

Look at your fan, there will be two wires going to it - black and blue. Use a piece of wire to connect the black one to ground (when the bike's ignition is switched to "ON"). The fan should turn on. If not, check to see if the blue wire has +12V. If the blue wire has +12V, then the fan motor is bad. If the blue wire does not have +12V, then there is a fuse blown, bad connection or burned wire somewhere.

If the fan does turn on when you ground the black wire, then most likely the thermo switch is at fault.

steve allen
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Aspencade
1994 GL1500 SE
1995 CB1000

Postby steve allen » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:33 am

WingAdmin wrote:The fan has +12V on one side of it, the other wire goes to the thermo switch, which completes the circuit to ground when it reaches a set temperature, thereby turning the fan on.

Look at your fan, there will be two wires going to it - black and blue. Use a piece of wire to connect the black one to ground (when the bike's ignition is switched to "ON"). The fan should turn on. If not, check to see if the blue wire has +12V. If the blue wire has +12V, then the fan motor is bad. If the blue wire does not have +12V, then there is a fuse blown, bad connection or burned wire somewhere.

If the fan does turn on when you ground the black wire, then most likely the thermo switch is at fault.

So, I must check this when motor is hot? Or, is their a way to check while cold? Maybe hot wire to fan, ground to frame, this verifies fan motor good or bad, then, if fan works, replace thermo switch........is this correct? Fuse is good, (checked already), and no wires burned that I can see.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:56 am

steve allen wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:The fan has +12V on one side of it, the other wire goes to the thermo switch, which completes the circuit to ground when it reaches a set temperature, thereby turning the fan on.

So, I must check this when motor is hot? Or, is their a way to check while cold? Maybe hot wire to fan, ground to frame, this verifies fan motor good or bad, then, if fan works, replace thermo switch........is this correct? Fuse is good, (checked already), and no wires burned that I can see.

You can do this when the engine is hot or cold. Just turn the ignition to ON, and ground out the black wire to the frame. If the fan turns on, then you know the thermo switch is your problem.

Jrmetcalf
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate

Postby Jrmetcalf » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:28 am

if you can reach the plug on the radiator,unplug it and get to long pieces of wire 1 to battery positive and the other to ground.you can touch one wire to one terminal and the other to the other terminal, you dont have to have the bike on! when you touch the terminals directly the fan will or should run .it doesnt matter which way you hook up the wires it should run forward or backwards it doesnt matter.this is just to see if the fan motor runs.if it does then plug back in the wire harness to the fan.I just had the same problem and found the fan worked directly,so then checked under the false tank and traced the wire from the fan to a connection that was not pluged in all the way pushed it togeather and when the temp got halfway the fan turned on.(that was my case) If it doesnt then you have a bad thermal switch!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”