Dog bone fuse

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Bbwelder
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200

Dog bone fuse

Postby Bbwelder » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:57 pm

1985 1200 where is the dog bone fuse I don't have my book.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: Dog bone fuse

Postby bustedwing » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:44 pm

That fuse is on the right side in front of the battery. Under a red plastic cover.
Proud member Patriot Guard

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: Dog bone fuse

Postby SilverDave » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:05 pm

........ And where it should be ...is in the garbage can...
When you have checked out the rest of your charging system... and gotten it so it actually charges... go to a marine shop, and get a " normal" blade fuse holder 10 or 12 ga.. The marine holders usually are built tough, and have little waterproof covers. I use 40 amp blade fuses in mine, but you can also use the more easily available 30 amp.

I crimped little circular tabs on the wire ends of mine, so I could screw it to the dogbone fuse brass terminals, and filed a notch in the cover , so I could close it .

The dogbone fuse is just a bad idea : the fuse is unprotected from the elements, is NOT readilly available when you travel, and slowly oxidizes in the air.

But its worst flaw... after a few years it can partially fail, with tiny hairline cracks in it ... so that it works,sort of, until the bike warms up a bit, then the crack opens slightly, and prevents the circuit from allowing the bike to start until it cools down..

Just BAD engineering ... If you want to keep it... then buy a new one , every two years ....

SilverDave

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”