Rear wheel clearance

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Welshwing
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200i Interstate

Rear wheel clearance

Postby Welshwing » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi all, I've been a member for a while on here but this is my first post, so I'd like to start by saying a massive thank you to everone who has posted "how to's" on here as they've been a massive help to me in doing little jobs on my wing. Speaking of which, it's an '84 Interstate in pearl siren blue.

I was wondering if anyone knew how much clearance there's meant to be between the rear tyre and the swing arm (drive shaft side). I don't seem to have hardly any clearance at all, 1/8"-1/4" is all. I've had it all stripped down when I changed the tyre and I've stripped it since to check, but the frame is definitely straight and none of the bearings on the wheel or swing arm are worn/loose or need changing in any way.
The clearance hasn't been an issue but I'm a little concerned that when I go to mainland europe this year the longer distances might cause the tyre to expand enough with the heat to rub on the swing arm and cause a major problem.
I'm using Continental Milestone CM2 150/90/15 which was a direct replacement for a Conti Tour of the same size that was already fitted when I got the bike.
Any help or thought would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Adam.

tricky

Re: Rear wheel clearance

Postby tricky » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:54 pm

I have had my Aspy since new in 85, I run Dunlop EIII's and I measured 0.24".

I used a very technical measuring instrument, I slid a tapered chopstick until it got stuck then measured it with a set of digital calipers :)

Hope you realize I had to go out into a cold garage with a flashlight :)

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:45 pm

I have just finished removing my Continental's because of size issues.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7154
My rear tire had maybe an 1/8 inch clearance between the swing arm and the tire. I ran this in hot weather when it was 110 out. Never had a problem with heat expansion. Did rub on the top inner fender piece when going over a bump two up. Just not enough room for the wider tire.
Enjoy your trip.
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

Welshwing
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200i Interstate

Postby Welshwing » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:22 pm

And I thought I was being technical by trying to stick my little finger into the gap and rotating the tyre til it hurt, never thought to use a chopstick tricky, might have been a better idea.
I caught up with your thread after I'd jumped in and posted Mooseman. Are the Pirelli's any good in the wet fully loaded, two up. My front Conti's on the way out so would you advise putting a Pirelli on the front and leaving the Conti on the rear or would I be better off spending the extra and replacing as a pair even though the rear has only done about 1200miles.
Thanks, Adam.

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 88k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 25K

Postby Mooseman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:34 pm

I rode the Continental's in the pouring rain and they did well. Was never two up. The Conti Tour did have a higher load rating.
That being said, I only have 150 miles on my front Pirelli and just getting it scuffed in. The back Pirelli has been on for just over 10k. I have not ridden it much in the rain but have been on wet sections of pavement and it sticks well.
A lot of the guys swear by the Dunlop's. Myself I have gotten terrible wear and they move around on wet pavement a little to much for me.
Hope this little bit of information helps. :?:

Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”