hydrolock

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
pollytrew
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200i interstate

hydrolock

Postby pollytrew » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:05 pm

I seem to be having problem after problem with my 87 gl1200i , first I did some checking up when my carbs where leaking from top overflow so I bought new carbs and the same thing...totaly puzzled, then I smelled my oil dipstick and there was a strong odor of gas so obviously from sitting and whatever the carbs leakage got into the oil so now I had it running and its started to make a rough running sound and would not get high rpm's. my question is " could it be I've bent some rods or other parts" and is it possible I need a new engine? I took the carbs off then drained the oil and put fresh in just to try and crank it through the engine. Can someone tell me where I stand? Thank you so much for all or any help given! Pollytrew

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Re: hydrolock

Postby D2D » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:51 pm

I was going to suggest that you pull the float bowls off, one at a time and see if you have a stuck float allowing fuel to leak by into one of your cylinders ; but you say you have changed out all of the carbs already. So I guess my next question to you would be are these new or used carbs and if used, did you clean or rebuild them before you installed? Second question is how clean is your fuel filter, any trash in it that could get by and into your carb bowls? Do you shut the fuel petcock off when the bike is left sitting?

As for the noise, you probably contaminated the oil and lost viscosity and some parts were not getting any lubrication. Depending on how long you ran your bike and how hot it got, you hopefully didn't do any damage to any internal parts.

Seeing as how you have those carbs off, I'd open the bowls and see what condition they are in and start by checking all four foat levels and be sure they are set correctly and functioning properly.

Post back and give us some more info and we'll see what help we can provide you.

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:57 pm

+1 on shutting the petcock when parking the bike for any length of time, especially overnight. Just don't forget to open it the next time you ride it.(OOPS, been there, done that. LOL)

Here's a good link on checking the float adjustment and checking the condition of the floats.
http://randakks.com/TechTip33.htm
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

pollytrew

Postby pollytrew » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:47 pm

D2D wrote:I was going to suggest that you pull the float bowls off, one at a time and see if you have a stuck float allowing fuel to leak by into one of your cylinders ; but you say you have changed out all of the carbs already. So I guess my next question to you would be are these new or used carbs and if used, did you clean or rebuild them before you installed? Second question is how clean is your fuel filter, any trash in it that could get by and into your carb bowls? Do you shut the fuel petcock off when the bike is left sitting?

As for the noise, you probably contaminated the oil and lost viscosity and some parts were not getting any lubrication. Depending on how long you ran your bike and how hot it got, you hopefully didn't do any damage to any internal parts.

Seeing as how you have those carbs off, I'd open the bowls and see what condition they are in and start by checking all four foat levels and be sure they are set correctly and functioning properly.

Post back and give us some more info and we'll see what help we can provide you.
Thank you so much I will keep you posted

pollytrew

Postby pollytrew » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:48 pm

seabee_ wrote:+1 on shutting the petcock when parking the bike for any length of time, especially overnight. Just don't forget to open it the next time you ride it.(OOPS, been there, done that. LOL)

Here's a good link on checking the float adjustment and checking the condition of the floats.
http://randakks.com/TechTip33.htm

Thanks I will keep you posted

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”