Removing Pinstripes

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
jskeys
Motorcycle: 1984 ASPENCADE

Removing Pinstripes

Postby jskeys » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:38 pm

The finish on my 84 Asp is good but the pin-striping is a disaster. Does anyone out there have suggestions on how to remove the old pinstripe without damaging the finish. Is there a mild solvent or can you heat it with a hair dryer?? Have never tried to remove pin-stripes before so this will be another step into the unknown as I repair the wing. Thanks

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Re: Removing Pinstripes

Postby D2D » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:02 pm

Found this for you, hope it helps..

Heating the Pinstripe Tape

Move your vehicle into a warm garage and plug an 1,100- to 1,800-watt hair dryer into a standard extension cord. Don't use a "heat gun" as the heat from this kind of heavy-duty tool will damage the paint finish.

Start from one end of a pin striping section, usually at either end. If you are left handed, sit next to the car (a rolling stool is handy) with your left shoulder against the car. If you are right handed, sit next to the car with your right shoulder against the car. Work in a forward direction on the pinstriping, not backwards. You need to be able to see the underside of the pinstriping as it peels up and away from the car. Place the blow dryer in your left hand (if you are a righty) and in your right hand (if you are a lefty).

Hold an X-Acto knife in your free hand with a pencil-holding grip. You can insulate a metal X-Acto knife handle from the heat of the blow dryer by wrapping it with duct tape or rubber bands.

Turn on the blow dryer and bring the end of the blow dryer within an inch of the end of the pin stripes. Let the blow dryer heat the pinstripe tape for a few minutes.

Still holding the blow dryer in place, begin to tease up the pin striping away from the car with the tip of the X-Acto knife: be certain you don't nick the body finish with the knife, however. This is a delicate operation. The blow dryer heat will substantially soften the adhesive and coax it into releasing from the car; you should be able to tease the pinstripe tape away from the car body without leaving any residue behind. Keep the blow dryer trained on the pinstriping, particularly on the exposed underside where the glue really is. You'll have access to this underside as you start to "roll up" the pin striping away from the car body.

Removing Glue Residue

If there is any glue residue remaining after you tease off the entire pinstripe, use a mild acetone-free cleaner like a citrus oil product. Rub the glue spots with a clean cotton ball saturated with the cleaning solution. Let the solution work on the glue for a minute and then rub the glue and oil away with a clean soft rag. Wash the area with an oil-cutting detergent before painting the car or applying new decals

seabee_
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
117k miles
1977 Kawasaki kz400
1978 Suzuki GSXr750
1980 Kawasaki GPZ400
1975 Honda CB360T

Postby seabee_ » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:40 pm

Is the pin stripping a painted type or stick on type?
Paul
CE1 Navy Seabees/RET
1981 to 2002
ASE Mechanic

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:49 pm

If you're talking about the original factory pin-striping, keep in mind that the clear coat is on TOP of the pin striping. You can't just peel it off with a heat gun.

jskeys
Motorcycle: 1984 ASPENCADE

Postby jskeys » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:27 pm

I believe this is the original factory pin stripe. It is worn off (color stripes gone but tape backing still there) in some places and scratched and worn in almost all areas from serious weathering. That is why I asked here. If it was just aftermarket like on a car I would have no problem but hoped some of you who have done restorations may have more specific guidance. Had thought if I could replace the pin stripe that is there I could ride for a year or so till I was ready to finish the cosmetic as my budget allows (doing the mechanical now).

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Postby D2D » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:51 pm

You're going to have to do as I did; sand it off, wash with acetone, prime, sand, wash and prime again and then repaint. Then apply new pinstriping ( got mine off ebay ) and then 3-4 coats of clear coating with a little sanding between each coat. After a day or two when you know it's all fully dried, hit it with a buffer to really bring out the shine. Total cost was less than $65 to do all 6 pieces. Be sure to use a sanding block so you don't have uneven spots and I used 2000 grit wet before I applied my base coat and in between coats of clear.

fysty-1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 I with LTD body

Postby fysty-1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:15 am

Go to an auto paint supply store & get a couple of rolls of 3-M 1/8" pinstriping to your choosen color & clean the surface very well with a oil free cleaner ( Windex) & then use the old stiping as a pattern for laying the new stripping. This way you will have stock looking stripping without having to respray your whole bike. :D :D
Angela (fysty-1) & Dani
85 GL1200I cloned LTD. Blue may not be the fastest color but it is the prettiest! No matter how blue things may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky

Dan1985
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1998 GL1500 SE

Postby Dan1985 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:02 am

I did the pinstriping surgury a year ago on two of my 1985 Goldwing LTDs. To remove the old pinstrips I did use a heat gun on low, to work the strip loose. Like a previous post mentioned, be very careful, as the paint becomes soft and a nick is very easy to aquire. I used an old style rasor blade. I had two LTD's at the time. One which I sold last summer, I repainted it, with a gold a little shade different. Both bikes were restripped.
I used the outline of the inserts, Brown on the LTD to follow. I aquired a 100 ft roll of double strip from my local auto paint store. They have many selections and sizes, I chose a black and a double strip, one small other just a little larger, matched the originally almost perfect.
Clean the surface first. To lay this double tape down and make it look origanal is a little tricky, especially around the corners. The new strips have a top and bottom, the top is clear plastic. The bottom protects the adhesive. Get a measurement of the total length of new tape you will need to go around all sides of the insert, add a little for spare, and cut that amount off your big roll. Pick a starting point and start to peal the bottom layer off, start at the beginning of a straight run. Lay down the new strip, while with a slight pull to keep it straight. Lay it across the straight run, have a helper hold the extra unattached tail. Press it down with your thumb when satified, now start to remove the top plastic layer up to the corner you are going to go around. Pull the top layer off just past an amount to take you around the corner, cut this top layer off. You will have two loose stips. Now with your free thumb work the strip around the corner keeping the two stips evenly splaced. You will have to pull and stretch the outside strip a little, it will stretch. You got around the corner, now do the same, for all 4 sides. With a little care and paience, you can do it.
I repainted one bike, painted it first, Base, clear coated near original color. I pinstirped before the final clear coat was applied. First buyer that saw the bike bought it. Other bike I did not repaint, just new strips, still sticks and I still have the bike, will be selling this spring. Any one interested in a nice GL1200 LTD, contact me. I live in Canby, OR, near Portland. I now have a 1998 GL1500 SE to replace it. (503)504-1508

fysty-1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 I with LTD body

Postby fysty-1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:30 pm

I sure wish I could & I don't even live that far from you. Just a good 4hrs due south for me on I-5 (if I had a passport that is). I live just 3 miles nort of Blaine, Wa. But unfortunately I have an 85 I & I can't afford another(dammit) :( :( :( . Angela :D :D :D :D

Angela (fysty-1) & Dani
85 GL1200I cloned LTD. Blue may not be the fastest color but it is the prettiest! No matter how blue things may get, there is always a rainbow in the sky

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”