AGM battery

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1984 ASPENCADE

AGM battery

Postby jskeys » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:00 pm

I recount it because it may help others. When I started the project of getting my 84 Asp running the battery in the bike was the typical old acid battery. It was bad so I replaced it immediately with an "Extreme Magna Power" AGM battery purchased at the local Advanced Auto Parts. As I started to work on the bike I found the battery constantly drained. When I could not find an obvious short I took the battery back to Advanced Auto, they tested it and told me the battery was fine just needed a charge. I went back to work looking for the drain. Took the battery back again when I could not find a short, they tested it again and told me again it was fine. At that point I made a post here and started again. After following the advice all of you gave me, especially the using an amp meter which showed no drain, I charged the battery on the bike and logged every 2 hours the drop. Then took the battery off the bike charged it again and logged the voltage every 2 hours. Went back to Advanced with the battery and my log (off the bike battery dropped from 12.32 v to 9.92 v in 4 hours). They put it on the tester and again told me the battery was fine, after a discussion with the guy, he finally gave me a replacement (battery had a 1 year warranty). Since the new battery went in, no problem after 5 days. I have no idea why the battery tested good with the tester Advanced Auto had but would not hold a charge. But if others have a absorbed glass mat battery it may be something about testing them that will give a false reading. Thanks to all of you who provide help to those of us starting off on these projects.

Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE 86k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 24K

Re: AGM battery

Postby Mooseman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:10 pm

I have had a car battery do that. Put a load to start and no go. Was bad but tested good.
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: AGM battery

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Because what they were testing for (the ability to put out a massive starting current) and what the problem was (self-drain likely due to bad cell) are two completely different things. The battery was (obviously) bad.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”