compressor removal

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

compressor removal

Postby Dogsled » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:32 am

The compressor on my SE doesn't work. I want to remove it and leave it out, just to clean things up a bit. Besides sealing up any electrical connections from the element that are disconnected, what do you do with the shocks where the air line ports are. I'm not getting rid of the bike and not worried about resale value. I just don't like having parts on the bike that don't work and just leaving them there. Any input,pro or con on doing this is appreciated. I'm still sitting here waiting for OEM wheel dampers for another week and need something to rip apart..
Oh yeah, I ride alone and even when the pump worked I never put air in it, the suspension was fine

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: compressor removal

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:34 pm

The main concern is the shock air lines.You would need to cap them.Not silicone.As the shock operates there will be changing pressure on the line.You want them sealed off..Either a cap or a plug on the shock.
Me personally....It's a leaver-right.
I hate creating a problem and more work.
If you want something to do..Grease the driveshaft and rear end splines.Might as well replace the timing belts,flush all that nasty brake fluid and fork oil while your at it.That will keep you from under foot for a few days :lol: Make your effort count for something :)

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:20 pm

to late Virgil.....idle hands.......how about "if it ain't broke, it will be when i'm thru with it" I'm gonna hope these photos upload. I got the compressor side apart and out, fairly straight forward. Now the other side got some 'STUFF' I gotta read up on. Evidently this rig works with that control unit on the front right fairing. I'll unplug all that and find the fuses and remove them. Then truly will I 'have nothing to worry about. I don't agree with leaving things that don't work on the bike. Remove all that trash wiring and hoses and you get an easier bike to track down problems. I gotta find this unit in the service manual and see what all it hooks to. I hope the pics load up ok

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:21 pm

WTF, where are the pics?

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:22 pm

Guess you ain't gettin no pics

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:58 pm

OK, I got everything out and man does it look alot cleaner under the seat and on the sides. (I even have a hidden little area if I wanna become a heroin mule to pick up some extra dollars to pay for all these parts i'm buying). What seems to be the problem here with these pictures, I posted them before.
My goal now is to add a short air line from the shock that I can pump air into manually instead of just capping it off. I haven't pumped air into it for years but when I broke the seal on the fitting a little air came out. Aw screw it, i'm trying one mre picture.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”