What page

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

What page

Postby Dogsled » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:49 am

Show me on what page in the service manual (I have a 1500, so i only have a manual for that) where it shows how or tells you to grease the drive shaft.

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

D2D
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 (sold)
1977 GL1000 (sold)
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1982 GL1100

Re: What page

Postby D2D » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:28 am

I don't have a service manual for the 1500 so I can't tell you the page # but;

You must remove the rear wheel, then the final drive, then pull out the drive shaft.
At that point, inspect the splines on both ends of the drive shaft (especially the rear), for abnormal wear. Clean the splines, to remove any grease.
Inspect the seal, at the rear end of the drive shaft and replace it if necessary.
Inspect the rubber boot, at the front of the drive shaft and replace if necessary
Re-assemble, using Honda Moly-D grease on all the splines.
Do not torque the 4 bolts for the final drive, until after the wheel has been completely installed... The unit needs to temporarily "float", in order to properly align to the rear wheel.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:08 am

I live near to the old Honda factory and knew some techs that worked there. They said to never lubricate the driveshaft or pull it apart. If you did, replace all the seals and whatever else with new parts (dirt was the demon). Honda made the driveshaft so it required no service. Now i've never seen this but inside the differential at the drive shaft end is a small hole that allows a small drop of oil from the differential in to keep things from seizing up. I have looked at the fiches and can't see what part that would be and am just repeating what these guys told me. There may be a procedure in the manual for rebuilding the differential but it's not a maintenance item. (and according to them should not be dis-assembled).

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:08 pm

In my manual it's Section 11 - Final Drive
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:45 pm

The final drive is in your manual. The disassembly/removal of the driveshaft in the book is just the prelude for tearing the final drive apart. Look under 'troubleshooting' on the first page and no symptoms say 'to solve xxxxx, lube the driveshaft'. My point was there is no mention of 'maintenance' of the driveshaft in the manual. Now I don't want to say I know this cause I never looked. I was just repeating what Honda service techs were telling me.
I keep hearing people tell me they lubed their driveshaft and I wanted to know 'why'? Where did they get this information that led them to do it. I've never done mine after 103,000 miles and have no issues.
I had a post that I removed the non functioning compressor system with all the hoses and wires and now it's alot cleaner. Virgil posted to leave well enough alone and just grease the driveshaft and go (or something along those lines). I try to do whatever it takes to make working on the bike easier and getting rid of the usless compressor and stuff, it's less to short out or make life difficult when troubleshooting. But back to the point, Virgil greases his driveshaft......I just wanted to know why? Virgil, why do you grease your shaft..... :shock:

And yes Virg, i'll be the guy on the side of the road with his seat on fire and driveshaft on the ground.... :lol:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:01 pm

The two things I can think of to lubricate are the splined shaft ends (with Moly, same as the spline in the wheel hub), and the universal joint at the swingarm pivot.

That said, looking at what's involved in doing so in the service manual, I'm not in a hurry to do either of those. :) There are a few oil seals etc. that must be replaced when it's removed.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Have you seen the universal Joint? Theres no zerk on it so how you grease it? That joint doesn't slide out with the shaft, It's inside the swing arm.

I hear you about tearing into that differential. I'd be lookin for another bike if something that bad went on me.

Bringin it up for the last time, I still want to find out why people are greasing the splines and who or where it said to do it. If it's a service issue, I want to do it. But I can't see proof anywhere that this is required and there are people struggling out there trying to get them back together correctly. (I'd prolly be one of them)

heidebill
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE

Postby heidebill » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:50 am

Hey dogsled
You are correct in questioning "Why and Where does it say?" I have done mechanic work for 30 years and sometimes the manufacturer does not say that something should be maintained, I have 20 years experience maintaining aircraft and the FAA and DOT have programs in place for this problem. On road vehicles the largest problem is usually you are stuck on the side of the road, and it costs you money.
There is no lubrication in the area where the splines slide, so to pull the driveshaft out and lubricate it, may not be mentioned by the manufacturer. I have heard of the Drive Shaft Problem from experienced riders from many years ago, a consideration when I bought my 1500. I enjoy mechanic work, so for me it is a hobby and I enjoy tearing things apart. If I can do some preventive maintenance to my ride, I will do it, so when I am on an extended trip, I can feel asured that all will be well.
Here is a video I made to assist other riders, should they chose to do the work, I have no Honda Qualifications, just enjoy the work

Enjoy Bill

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:30 am

see that's what i'm talkin about....LOGIC. Well put and now to sit down with a cup of coffee and watch the video. Thanks for the great response. I like the work, it's waitin for these OEM parts that kills me. Now all Virgil got to look for on the side orf the road is my seat on fire for removing the compressor and wiring.... :lol:. I've been sitting here waiting for a load of parts tocome in (according to UPS, today) and now I see there's an o-ring I didn't order. I'm hoping one of the bearing distributors in the area can handle something that simple.
Thanks to everyone for your input.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:28 am

I just removed and serviced my rear drive and I watched Bill's video. Bill, You have all the steps there but you make it look way to easy. :lol: . The hardest part of the entire process was re-installing the drive shaft into the u-joint. I tried for almost half an hour and was never able to "find the hole". The u-joint hangs down too low to get the two to align. Rudy over at Saunders suggested that I use the starter, kill switch off and in neutral, to spin the u-joint while applying a slight pressure to the rear drive. Took all of 2 seconds. I also found that letting all the air out of the right shock allowed me to easily get the shock back into position on the rear drive mount. As I write, things keep popping up. While in there I found that my shock boot was in pieces and needed to be replaced. Again from Saunders someone suggested an automotive shock boot would work. It is a Monroe Shock-Mate Boot Kit #SA1997. Has to be shortened but will work and looks fine. Any automotive parts store. $6 instead of $40 plus shipping.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:27 am

Dogsled wrote:Have you seen the universal Joint? Theres no zerk on it so how you grease it? That joint doesn't slide out with the shaft, It's inside the swing arm.

Correct, the swingarm has to be removed in order to get to the universal joint. That said, I believe the bearings are sealed, it's the splines that need grease:

GL1500 Universal Joint
GL1500 Universal Joint

From the service manual:

Remove the swing arm (see page 12-26).
Remove the universal joint from the swing arm.
Inspect the universal joint. There should be no play in the bearings.
Rotate the shaft and joint in opposite directions. If there is any evidence of side play, the universal joint must be replaced.
Apply grease to the splines.

Dogsled wrote:Bringin it up for the last time, I still want to find out why people are greasing the splines and who or where it said to do it. If it's a service issue, I want to do it. But I can't see proof anywhere that this is required and there are people struggling out there trying to get them back together correctly. (I'd prolly be one of them)

Again, from the Honda service manual:

Drive shaft, universal joint, drive shaft pinion joint splines and oil seal, Final driven flange splines: Honda Moly 60 paste or equivalent

Greasing the hub splines is a necessary service item. I have seen final drive splines that were worn beyond repair because they had been ignored and not lubricated. I can see no reason why the driveshaft splines, which use the same system of lubrication and are subject to identical driveline forces would be any different. Unlubricated, worn splines:

Worn final drive splines
Worn final drive splines

Worn driveshaft splines
Worn driveshaft splines

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:35 pm

right when I thought I was done..................................................

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”