hazard power

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

hazard power

Postby Dogsled » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:54 am

Manuals are sometimes more confusing than just getting a test light and tracing a problem. I lost my Hazard lights, so I figure I'd get locations of everything in the service manual.(think it's the switch) Somehow they start by 'removing the top trunk, then the lower left cover....WTF, can there seriously be a hazard relay that would be under this trunk that would need testingreplacing if the hazards go out. Nothing like 'side of the road convenience for repairing a problem, no easier with the left fairing lower cover tied into the left cooling fan. From the drawing I can't tell where the hazard relay is, anyone seen it? I'm assuming to 10 amp fuse in the schematic is #10 (acc.) in the fuse relay box.

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: hazard power

Postby virgilmobile » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:47 am

I thought I saw somewhere that the hazzard and turn flashers were under the seat,Near the back,side by side.I don't have the service manual here to look.Post again if you still get lost.It'll be monday afternoon before I get to my good computer.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:53 pm

I checked all the fuses and nothing is blown. The picture in the service manual looks like the area under the seat (that I just stuck back on 2 days ago). I don't know what the heck all that stuff about pulling the top trunk is. After further inspection it looks like I must have broken the tab that keeps the hazard button in, off when I pulled it with the pliers. They were a crap design anyway. I've lubed them, loosened them up and everytime after, I would turn them on they'd stick. i'll by-pass it with a good switch once it warms up a bit. Removing the air pump has freed up a nice switched fuse in the block I can get access to with the plug under the seat now though. The micro fiches don't break down parts small enough to buy things like the button that I can see anyway. I sure wouldn't give Honda anymore money to replace a bad design to give me the same headache I had prior. If somebody does come up with a positive location for that relay, post it. Thanks

Peppyone1955
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Peppyone1955 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:58 pm

My manual shows the hazard & turn signal relay flashers are top rear, under the trunk. Good luck!

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:13 pm

Peppy,
I see there are two relays there. One is the Hazard relay. The electrical fuse diagram shows the turn signal relay in the fuse box (top left in the relay selection along with the horn). I got no idea what the other relay next to the Hazard one is.......you may be right though. Also, that's where I maybe woulda coulda thought the relays were, just like you said. But I just pulled all my air pump hoses and wiring out and alot of it was right to the back of the seat/front of the box....I didn't see anything that looks like that. I was looking pretty hard too, to see what wiring I was removing, so a set of relays should have stood out in my memory. I did take pictures, i'll take a look and see if I can see anything. This site got me tkin pics of everything I do......the neighbor girl thought I was taking shots of her......how damn vain. I told her what I was doing......PS, I did get some nice shots of her though... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:18 pm

This is the best shots I have of that area.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:21 pm

Well I just tried to post the pics 20 times and it doesn't work, anyway, thats not where the relays are

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:49 pm

It's confusing, because what Honda calls the "flasher relay" and "hazard relay" are actually flashers (OK, technically with relay type components inside them). In either case, they're both located under the trunk.

Flasher and Hazard relays
Flasher and Hazard relays

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:56 pm

So the top trunk has to come off? If so, I think i'll do alot of other tests first, somehow the relay doesn't seem likely to go, or would it. Where'd you find that picture? Are all of those linked to a fuse in the fuse box? Alot of questions I know but I went outside and my fingertips froze up so i'm doing computer diagnostics in the house.. :P This way I can have a good idea what to attack first when I get out there.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Sorry for the quick second post but after re reading what you wrote if the relay is a combination relay/flasher, if it was bad, the lights would stay on when engaged, correct? I have no lights.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:31 pm

That picture came from the Honda Electronic Troubleshooting Manual. So did this diagram - should help you a bit in finding where your power problem is (click to enlarge):

Turn signal schematic
Turn signal schematic

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:45 pm

That switch in the box seems straight forward on/off and looks easy to patch and override to another, more reliable switch. Be nice if it were a plug in the box and I could find a mate to run off of with the new wire. Thanks for the help.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Dogsled wrote:That switch in the box seems straight forward on/off and looks easy to patch and override to another, more reliable switch. Be nice if it were a plug in the box and I could find a mate to run off of with the new wire. Thanks for the help.

I just looked at that schematic, and realized it is inaccurate. The way it is shown, the left and right turn signals are tied together, so that whenever a turn signal was turned on, both of them would flash.

The hazard switch is actually a DPST switch, not an SPST as shown in the diagram. Each pole of the switch connects the incoming (pink/white) wire to both of the left and turn signals - separately.

Pulling from the Service Manual schematic, they've got it right in here:

Hazard switch
Hazard switch

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks, that was a bizarre connection in the first schematic right before the switch. I just hope gettin this switch totally off and apart so I can wire it easily to run an outboard switch ain't too bad. I'll take alot of pics and send them to you if I can't post them. It may be my computer, I was able to post the other day. I'll print out the change, I think this DPST would have been evident once inside but at least i'll go in with the right way. Why was that 1st diagram so wrong???? Maybe i'll try and find an old one and take that apart first. I know a junkyard in Kinsman OH, if I can call them, maybe they'll know and I can ride up and get it.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Well I seperated the switch assembly, it's so tight in there AND small you can't even see the switch going in and out to try and locate if it's even repairable. I sprayed it good with WD and put it back together. I pushed the switch in and out about 20 times and it started to work...but truly as a dpst switch. One the button keeper is broken so it won't stay in/on. But when it does come on first the right blinker flashes a few times then they start to both work. The only thing is I have to hold the button in manually. (The cops will have to live with that cause i'm not takin it apart anymore).
Now the history started with the button stuck in and the lights not working at all...I wonder if the key being off had anything to do with that... :roll: I tried for the longest time and couldn't get the switch to come back out. I tried the pliers to push in and pull the button out, I had done this before, guess I got a little over zealous. But the good news is I at least don't have electrical issues. One thing i'm glad about though is I learned alot about the way the hazard system works and a bit more how Honda thinks. IfI ever get to takin things apart in the trunk area, i'll definatley look for the relay.

Dogsled

Postby Dogsled » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:21 am

The aftermath of the four-way switch came yesterday. Sfter taking the assembly apart and spraying it good with WD-40, all was good. I go for a ride and notice I have NO headlights, hi or low beam....WTF. So I check everything, relays, fuses and even the bulbs. I quick test to the bulb socket show no juice going to either one, the hi beam indicator won't even come on. After sitting there with no tests left I get out the electrical parts spray cleaner and spray the hi-lo switch on the handlebars. Everything starts working. I knew it had to be in there because thats the last thing I touched, but I never thought and external spraying (dousing) of the switch would do anything. I don't know what cused it, all I can assume is it was the WD, great on mechanical switches, maybe not so good on electric components. So far after the winter teardown of so many things the aftermath issues have been minor and with my bad luck, electrical......something I hate.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”