C B radio

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
furnacedoc
Motorcycle: 1981 suzuki GS850
1997 1500SE gold wing

C B radio

Postby furnacedoc » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Hello, can you guys tell me how far does your cb radio reach? if I get more than a mile aprt from another "wing" i can not talk or hear them. It seems like when I had a cb years ago in my jeep we could be 4 or 5 miles apart and still talk. We are preety much in the flat lands n here in northern Indiana. I know that in a mountainous region they will not reach as far.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: C B radio

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:58 pm

Two things you need to do.
#1. Most important is to check the SWR and tune it as close to 1:1 on the channel you intend to use the most.
#2. A CB repair business will most likely have to perform this for you. Get the radio peaked up to the max legal wattage, which is 4 watts output.
Then the same needs to be done for all those you ride with and want to communicate with.
Depending on the time of day/night and the atmospheric "noise" conditions, you should be able to get from 2 to 5 even 6 miles.
2 or 3 is much more common than the 5 or 6 bike to bike.
You can talk further than that to a cage/truck and even further to a base station.
Also, you will hear from much further than you can talk, again because cages/trucks and base units are capable of much stronger signals than a bike CB can generate.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”