Linked fork air system??

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Linked fork air system??

Postby Sempai » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Anyone know if someone makes a kit to link the forks' air systems? Worse comes to worse, I'll make my own, with an inline gauge...But I'd sure like to just buy something already tried/tested...

Keep the rubber side down.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Linked fork air system??

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:45 am

My 2000 1500SE had air assisted front suspension, serviced by an on board air compressor. I assumed, since both inflate/deflate at the same time, they are linked :?: :?: :?:

Sempai

Postby Sempai » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:00 am

tfdeputydawg wrote:My 2000 1500SE had air assisted front suspension, serviced by an on board air compressor. I assumed, since both inflate/deflate at the same time, they are linked :?: :?: :?:

P.O. must have linked the systems together. The parts fiche doesn't show any sort of air-linking plumbing for the 2000 models either.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Yes, I know what it is and I have one in the package.
I bought this a long time ago but never used it.
Attachments
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Sempai wrote:
tfdeputydawg wrote:My 2000 1500SE had air assisted front suspension, serviced by an on board air compressor. I assumed, since both inflate/deflate at the same time, they are linked :?: :?: :?:

P.O. must have linked the systems together. The parts fiche doesn't show any sort of air-linking plumbing for the 2000 models either.

I can only speak to my 2000SE. The gage/controls are in a panel on the left lower fairing face about knee high. The switch is to change between the rear shocks and the front forks and another to add or remove air. The compressor also had a fitting/hose to air up the tires.
I meant either the front forks or the rear shocks inflated/deflated together, not all four together!

Sempai

Postby Sempai » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:34 pm

tfdeputydawg wrote:I meant either the front forks or the rear shocks inflated/deflated together, not all four together!

I figured the system would be split from front to rear, but regardless of that, the parts fiche doesn't show any linked system for the front. I suspect a previous owner may have rigged his own system?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:26 pm

tfdeputydawg wrote:I can only speak to my 2000SE. The gage/controls are in a panel on the left lower fairing face about knee high. The switch is to change between the rear shocks and the front forks and another to add or remove air. The compressor also had a fitting/hose to air up the tires.
I meant either the front forks or the rear shocks inflated/deflated together, not all four together!

I think you may be remembering a bit wrong. The 2000SE has the panel on the right side about knee high, and there is a switch that allows you to check the pressure in the rear shocks, and another that allows you to send air to the air outlet in the saddlebag. The front shocks have to have air added manually.

Air control panel
Air control panel

tfdeputydawg

Postby tfdeputydawg » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:28 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
tfdeputydawg wrote:I can only speak to my 2000SE. The gage/controls are in a panel on the left lower fairing face about knee high. The switch is to change between the rear shocks and the front forks and another to add or remove air. The compressor also had a fitting/hose to air up the tires.

I think you may be remembering a bit wrong. The 2000SE has the panel on the right side about knee high, and there is a switch that allows you to check the pressure in the rear shocks, and another that allows you to send air to the air outlet in the saddlebag. The front shocks have to have air added manually.

AirPanel.jpg

Thank you, I am sure you are correct! Been 12 years and I am having recall concerns!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”