Rear speaker-harness missing???

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
oldnco
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Rear speaker-harness missing???

Postby oldnco » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:46 am

Was checking to see why rear speakers on my 92 Aspencade were inop, lo and behold, I don't have any. Additionally, as I compare the wiring diagram and what is on my bike, I don't see the harness/plugs either. Am technically challenged in audio matters, so I need GURU HELP!!!

CycleMax has a GL1500 Rear Speaker Kit
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/129/188 and a rear speaker fader control kit. http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/129/1232

Is this all I need to hook up to get my tunes coming out of the rear???

If anyone has any pictorials they can refer me to or any step-bys would certainly appreciate it!!.

Thanx

Oldnco

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Rear speaker-harness missing???

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:48 am

The rear speakers were in the SE only, not the Aspencade.

The first kit is the only one you need - it already includes the fader, which is all that you see in the second kit.

The kit has a harness that plugs in between the radio and the front speakers. That has the fader attached, and another connector that connects to the second harness, which runs to the rear speakers.

oldnco

Postby oldnco » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:22 am

Thanx Wingadmn!! Will I need to waterproof the speakers? :?: I am making an assumption that the wiring harness for the aspy is the same as the SE? :oops: :?: If it is, then I should just be able to plug everything together, install the speakers and voila, music. Is this a fairly safe assumption??

Thanx :?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:59 am

I suspect that they are not, which is the reason for having the first harness with the fader, which "intercepts" the signals going to the front speakers, and redirects some of the signal to the newly-installed rear speakers.

I don't know if the Cyclemax speakers are waterproof or not; I would be surprised if they are not. If you're worried about it, you can spray a couple think layers of acrylic on the speaker cones before installing them.

oldnco

Postby oldnco » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:20 am

WingAdmin wrote:I suspect that they are not, which is the reason for having the first harness with the fader, which "intercepts" the signals going to the front speakers, and redirects some of the signal to the newly-installed rear speakers.

I don't know if the Cyclemax speakers are waterproof or not; I would be surprised if they are not. If you're worried about it, you can spray a couple think layers of acrylic on the speaker cones before installing them.

Thanx so much for your time & information. Appreciate it greatly. You have been a great deal of help!

Galen

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:44 pm

If you are going to put new speakers on the Wing either the front or rear go to a marine shop that deals in audio equipment for boats. Why I hear you ask ....... well, I hope you you are asking ...... boats go in the water and all electrical gear has to be water proofed to a certain extent.

As the speakers that are fitted to the Wings are not water proof and after a while with all that riding and singing in the rain (No thats a different song) anyway the speakers will stop working etc.

A little bit dearer but will last a lot longer.

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Postby Bamaeagle » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:41 am

As usual Wingadmin has the correct answers. Just follow his lead and all should be well. Also the cyclemax choice is agood choice in the speakers and wiring. I just got a new to me 1800 and in my haste in buying it I did not check for rear speaker playing. I did turn on the radio and heard it playing (from the front speakers)..all was good as I mostly use the helmet headset anyway. Well two days after I got the wing I decided to test all the speakers and I found out that the rear was not working. When I took the rear speaker pod off I saw that there were no rear speakers. I ordered a set from cyclemax and installed them and all is well. I will still most likely use the headset but it is nice to know I have all the speakers working now.

JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”