smokes on start up

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bndbelle
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE GOLDWING

smokes on start up

Postby bndbelle » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi all,
I bought my 95' 1500 last june with 103,000 miles on it. I changed the oil,filter and air filter when I first bought it. The other owner did not keep any records of service done to it. It runs smooth and never have problems starting it. The last few times when I started it there is a lot of smoke. It does seem to clear up as soon as I take the choke off. It never smokes while I'm driving. I average about 32 MPG in town and 34 MPG on the highway. I thought I should get better milage than that.I am thinking that it might be time to have the carbs rebuilt since I have no idea if that has ever been done. Anyone got any ideas ?
Thanks for any info.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: smokes on start up

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:25 pm

How long do you leave the choke on for??
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:22 pm

Startup smoke on these wings is commonly caused by old/bad valve guide seals. After being ridden and then parked, the oil that's remained in the valve cover area seeps into the cylinder(s) through the valve guides until the oil has drained back into the oil pan. The oil in the cylinder(s) is quickly burned up and exhausted upon startup.
Keep the rubber side down.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:27 pm

My 89 is cold natured and will puff a little after 30 seconds with full choke, but quickly goes away when choke is released. It don't use oil and the smell is rich fuel so I let it go. Fuel milage is consistantly mid 40's and with wife on back have seen up to 49mpg.

Ericson38
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 Standard, 2000 GL1500 SE

Postby Ericson38 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:27 am

Not sure what type of oil you are using, but one good application of Marvel Mystery oil in the crankcase can work wonders on an engine as complicated as the wing. If you remove and drain the oil filter, then relace that much oil with MMO, and ride it a couple hundred miles while it's still cool weather could be the ticket. I doubt your cylinders/rings/pistons are worn. I just took the heads off my 83 standard with 69k miles to do the head gasket (one starting leaking). There is no ridge that I can measure, using a straight edge, feeler gage, and bright light to try and pick up a difference between the bore at the top of the cylinder and the bore 1 inch down. No wear. PO may not have changed oil as much as they should have and rings could be partially stuck. I don't think it is valve stem seals.....mine would be worse than yours for sure, and this ole '83 never smokes, as I ride it a little every couple of days.

bndbelle

Postby bndbelle » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:42 pm

cbx4evr wrote:How long do you leave the choke on for??

Depending on how cold it is , I only keep it on for about 3 minutes before I start riding then I shut it off.

bndbelle

Postby bndbelle » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Ericson38 wrote:Not sure what type of oil you are using, but one good application of Marvel Mystery oil in the crankcase can work wonders on an engine as complicated as the wing. If you remove and drain the oil filter, then relace that much oil with MMO, and ride it a couple hundred miles while it's still cool weather could be the ticket. I doubt your cylinders/rings/pistons are worn. I just took the heads off my 83 standard with 69k miles to do the head gasket (one starting leaking). There is no ridge that I can measure, using a straight edge, feeler gage, and bright light to try and pick up a difference between the bore at the top of the cylinder and the bore 1 inch down. No wear. PO may not have changed oil as much as they should have and rings could be partially stuck. I don't think it is valve stem seals.....mine would be worse than yours for sure, and this ole '83 never smokes, as I ride it a little every couple of days.

I am a true believer in Marvel Mystery oil. I have used 3 oz in my fuel tank when I filled up, but only twice since I've owned it. I wasn't sure about putting it in the oil, but I will sure try that now. I always have a bottle on the shelf.

Ericson38
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 Standard, 2000 GL1500 SE

Postby Ericson38 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:50 pm

L us know how that goes. It raised my compression....I blew a weak head gasket in the making within 500 miles of adding it. Boy was it running like a real machine...right up to the stop sign anyway. I couldn't believe the difference. But then take any car that has been sitting around, racking up 69k miles in 30 years, including many years with old school dino. Likely in the same boat as the bike, no way around it.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”