My 88 Honda 1500 will not start after sitting

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
rkkstrieb
Motorcycle: 2005 Honda 919
1990 Honda Transalp

My 88 Honda 1500 will not start after sitting

Postby rkkstrieb » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:15 am

Hello,

I am a new goldwing owner and new to this website. I purchased a 1988 Honda GL1500A which I thought was is good condition. However, I do notice a strong raw gas odor while riding and when the bike sits. I see no visible signs of leaks even around the petcock. My other issue is that if the bike sits for a couple of days it is very hard to start. It just cranks away.

I someone has an idea or can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. I really am looking forward to enjoying this bike.

jsalpha2
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing GL1500

Re: My 88 Honda 1500 will not start after sitting

Postby jsalpha2 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:43 am

It sounds like you have a leak in the carbs. It could be from a sticking float, but on my 1989 I had to have the carbs pulled and rebuilt. There are a lot of vacuum hoses that
get old and leak, when the carbs are off look under the rubber mat and find a hose with a bend in it. If you pull the side panels covering the starter and look on the rubber mat it may show where the fuel is going. Fuel leaking onto the hot engine could cause a fire, so don't wait to long. But before you pull the carbs, try running a can or two of SeaFoam in the gas tank. (Seafoam is a fuel system cleaner, about $10 or less a can) If the carb is clean and nothing sticks the leak should stop. You may get lucky. The reason why it is hard to start is the gas in the bowl of the carb has leaked and fresh fuel has refill the carb before it cranks.
Try starting with 3/4 choke, short pushes on the start button, it may start on the release of the button. Do not twist the throttle. As it warms up I reduce the choke gradually, keeping the RPMs about 2000 for a minute.

Disclaimer. I am not a master mechanic, however there are people here who are. Welcome. Try to be as descriptive as possible in the title. Good Luck

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”