Driving light mount

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Driving light mount

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:37 pm

I've had a couple people ask me about this, so I thought I would answer publicly.

I was reading your article on the LED replacement for controls which was excellent.
I noticed you've got some driving/fog lights on both bikes. I've got a 97 1500 with the turn signal lights and I've been looking at different ways to mount some lights. I thought about replacing the turn lights with driving but it seems too low to be useful. I like how yours are tucked up at what appear to be a nice height. Would you share some shots of your mounts, what lights did you use, and do they work well? What did you do for a switch? Anything you'd do different?

First off, the mount itself - from what I can tell, it is a custom mount made from bar stock. I have been unable to find anything like it sold anywhere. That said, it's a fairly simple design:

GL1500 driving light mount
GL1500 driving light mount

A gradual bend around the bottom of the tunnel opening with a hard angle for the mount, and a small U-bolt fastening the mount to the internal fairing frame.

The mounts are extremely rigid, and the lights do not bounce or vibrate when riding.

The lights are fairly common round lights with 55 watt H3 bulbs. They project quite a bit of light up to about 30 feet away, in a fairly wide arc in front of the bike (they fill in where the headlight does not).

Where they came from - I have no idea. They were on the bike when I got it. I did cut all the wiring out that was used to install them and redid it properly. I have a three-switch setup that switches a 30-amp automotive style relay. That relay powers the driving lights, supplying them on a circuit of their own through a Electrical Connection auxiliary fuse panel. I have a Compufire alternator & AGM battery to power it all.

Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Re: Driving light mount

Postby ka4yqi » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:38 pm

As long as it dont move while you are driving is the main thing. It looks solid and simple to do.

Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:20 pm

First off, the mount itself - from what I can tell, it is a custom mount made from bar stock. I have been unable to find anything like it sold anywhere. That said, it's a fairly simple design:

The mounts and lights came from Electrical Connection but they stopped manufacturing and selling them a few years back. They were some of the best and brightest driving lights out there for the GL1500. If you look hard enough, you may find a pair on Ebay.

If you are looking for similar lights with excellent illumination and a tucked away installation, take a look at these:
Tacoma, WA, USA

Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:36 pm

When I mounted mine I used old CB antenna mounts that clamp to the crash bars.Nice alum. light weight and lookes like it belongs there.
Proud member Patriot Guard

Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Mike B,
ChrisChrome is EXACTLY what I was looking for, thanks

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”