nuetral light and reverse not working

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
basher
Motorcycle: 1988 gl 1500 trike

nuetral light and reverse not working

Postby basher » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:38 pm

hi,new to the site and wondered if you could maybe help with my problems,
first i could only reverse when pulling the clutch and then it was only about 5",
the nuetral light didnt light either and the switch inside the front engine cover seemed to be the problem and thinking if i could sort one it would sort the other so running an extra wire into the connecter block and to earth i was able to "trick" the bike into thinking it was in nuetral and we had a light,forgot to mention i could only start it with the clutch pulled,anyway with the light on i could start it normally,i.e.no clutch but as soon as i put it in reverse i lost the light again and now even with the bridge wire wont light the nuetral light.
has anyone out there had a similar problem or know what im doing wrong.
talk about banging my head and i dont have many brain cells to spare.
many thanks,Bash

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: nuetral light and reverse not working

Postby trike lady » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:41 pm

There's a small switch with a wire attached to it on the right side of the engine near the dip stick, it may be bad. There is also a diode pack that may have a bad one in it.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

basher

Postby basher » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:11 am

trike lady wrote:There's a small switch with a wire attached to it on the right side of the engine near the dip stick, it may be bad. There is also a diode pack that may have a bad one in it.

i know were that switch is but not sure on the diode pack and how to test it,
my manual tells me how to check the switch.
thanks,Bash

trike lady

Postby trike lady » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:39 pm

The diode pack is behind the left saddlebag near the bank angle sensor.
Diodes are tested to see if they have failed. A test meter is set to the 'Diode' scale and then the diodes are tested in the pack by following the instructions. Any diode that allows current to flow both ways is bad.

basher

Postby basher » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:50 am

trike lady i thank you.
i took the gear sensor out from behind the front engine cover,took it apart and had to carefully file some of the black nylon away from around the nuetral connecter and got that working,then to the switch next to the oil dip stick and cleaned that one out and finally the switch behind the reverse handle and cleaned that one out and eventually got a green light,so then to test the silver box the left under the trunk,started it up,put my meter in place, hit the reverse button and backwards it went.
very happy with my little self,dont know how but it all works and thats a result.
thanks again,Bash

zamboni920
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE with Hannigan 2+2 sidecar

Postby zamboni920 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Bash, TrikeLady....having issues with my reverse also (another post) , any info/details on how to check diodes? Is there more than one? My manual says nothing about this, except shown in wiring diagram. I am truly glad you got yours working Bash.....just wish for more details :) . Also would like to know if there are one particular problem area on the early 1500's . On mine, there are no reverse light showing when reverse is engaged, nor will the starter spin/turn. Does the reverse light somehow prevent the starter from spinning, or are the two unrelated? Does this mean it simply is a power supply issue? Bash, you do not mention exactly wich one of your procedures worked for you. Did you test the diode? If so, how? I imagine a test in itself would not make it work, so, do you know exactly what made it finally work?
If I have to, I will spend days trying to trace wiring and test all components, but it would be a heck of a lot easier if I could narrow it down :) . Thanks for much good advice so far.

trike lady

Postby trike lady » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm posting the instructions for testing the diode pack.
There are two relays labeled Power Control Relay 1&2.
Attachments

basher

Postby basher » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:03 pm

zamboni920 wrote:Bash, TrikeLady....having issues with my reverse also (another post) , any info/details on how to check diodes? Is there more than one? My manual says nothing about this, except shown in wiring diagram. I am truly glad you got yours working Bash.....just wish for more details :) . Also would like to know if there are one particular problem area on the early 1500's . On mine, there are no reverse light showing when reverse is engaged, nor will the starter spin/turn. Does the reverse light somehow prevent the starter from spinning, or are the two unrelated? Does this mean it simply is a power supply issue? Bash, you do not mention exactly wich one of your procedures worked for you. Did you test the diode? If so, how? I imagine a test in itself would not make it work, so, do you know exactly what made it finally work?
If I have to, I will spend days trying to trace wiring and test all components, but it would be a heck of a lot easier if I could narrow it down :) . Thanks for much good advice so far.

i wish i could tell you,a couple of things i didnt mention was i took the start/reverse switch apart,cleaned it and give the two springs a little stretch,also i pulled the 4pin block apart under the trunk connected to the silver box bolted to the frame on the left side and give that a good clean and the big black box with reverse wrote on it i cleaned that connection to.
sorry about the over technical explanation but i've no idea what there called.
my reverse light wouldnt come on either until i did all this but never checked it inbetween so cant tell you which one it was that fixed it.
Trike Lady,where do you get those diagrams from,i've seen them all over different forums but there not in the uk haynes manual.
cheers,Bash

trike lady

Postby trike lady » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:13 pm

basher,
I use Clymer service manuals as well as Honda.
The diagrams are from the Clymer manual and the manuals are written for the average individual to work on their bike, I use them along with the Honda manual. I had a Haynes manual for the GL1500 I gave it away.

zamboni920

Postby zamboni920 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:27 pm

TrikeLady....thanks for posting those diagrams, will be very helpful when I get time to work on the bike again. As for your reference to Clymer's manual.....I purchased Haynes, simply because i have had negative experiences with Clymer for other vehicles. Maybe now I will get Clymer, at least for the GL1500.
Bash....to be honest, I much prefer your style of "technical" language. Makes someone like me actually understand :D .
I will check, clean and test the same components that you did. The reverse switch you refers to, is that the one above the oil dipstick....single wire? Or do you mean the handlebar switch? If I do understand your process, you cleaned contacts mostly, tested less, and replaced nothing?

zamboni920

Postby zamboni920 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:30 pm

One more question......To get to the diode pack, and the other "black box", did you remove trunk? Any need to remove saddlebags?

trike lady

Postby trike lady » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:39 pm

You'd want to remove the trunk to get to the reverse control unit and the saddlebag to get the diode assembly.
If you need a Clymer manual for the 1988 to 1992 GL1500 I have a new one. Let me know if you'd be interested. These manuals are large and the one I have for the 1993-2000 is well used.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”