Rear brake pads 1991 interstate

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
mvasilakes
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate

Rear brake pads 1991 interstate

Post by mvasilakes » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:04 pm

What is the OEM brake pad material? Organic, metallic, or sinitered. I have been looking for replacements and two dealers I've talked to can't tell me. Any help would be great.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Re: Rear brake pads 1991 interstate

Post by FM-USA » Wed May 02, 2012 9:50 pm

I have the 91 Interstate and it had sintered pads. BUT the bike was prev-owned though he was a stickler for using THE CORRECT parts.
I'm currently using organic but don't recommend them "IF" you ride in the rain. I'm a fan of saving the expensive parts like rotors and changing the organic pads more often.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

mvasilakes

Post by mvasilakes » Thu May 03, 2012 8:00 am

It was recommended that I use organic, but I had decided against it. I do ride in the rain so I'm glad for the information you gave to help confirm that. The one of the biggest thing for me is I don't want brake squeal which can happen if the pads and rotors are mismatcheed.

Thanks for the reply!

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Fri May 04, 2012 12:14 am

Brake squeal is not from anything mismatched, if it were it squeeeeeel from day one.
it's a break material hard spot or a rock got caught in the pads.
I've cut many a break linings on trucks that complained of squeeeeeeeling.
Organics are OK *IF* you remember to Pre-Brake before you brake. (never gonna happen when it's an emergency)
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C. Have a wonderful flat tire day while doing 99mph.

mvasilakes

Post by mvasilakes » Fri May 04, 2012 8:36 am

You're right about the organic not squealing, I have had rotors designed for organic and used metalic linings and they have squealed. This was an automotive rotor. I was just hoping to find out if anyone new what type of pads were used OEM on my 91. I do like metalic pad, I just don't want the squeal.

Thanks for the input