Wiring a trailer to a Goldwing Trike.

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
novice
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Wiring a trailer to a Goldwing Trike.

Postby novice » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:22 pm

Recently I bought a goldwing Trike which has the California conversion kit on it. It is used and originally
had a trailer hitch on it. I have put another hitch on it but I am stumped on wiring it to the trailer I want
to use.

The trailer has a four wire plug and when I looked at the wiring from the motorcycle it has six wires.
There was no plug. The question is how do I get from the six wires to the four wire plug on the trailer.

The six wires are Red, Black, White, Brown, Green, Yellow. Right now they are not attached to
anything and just hang loose.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

thanks, Novice

WhiteBird00
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE

Re: Wiring a trailer to a Goldwing Trike.

Postby WhiteBird00 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:08 pm

You will need a 5-wire to 4-wire conversion box available from most auto parts stores. It is required any time you connect a vehicle with separate (amber) turn signals to a trailer with shared brake and turn signal lamps.

The California Side Car trike trailer wiring colors are:
Red - brake light power
Black - accessory power (interior light, etc.)
White - ground
Brown - running light power
Green - right turn signal power
Yellow - left turn signal power

novice
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby novice » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:05 pm

Ok, Does that mean that the Black wire is not used for anything, so I just leave this a
dead end?

The terminal Block to go from five to two has a GD, TM, Lt, Rt, this is four spots. When
I forget the black wire how do I hook up the rest. White to GD, Yellow to Left Turn,
Green to Right Turn. That leaves me with Brown and Red. Do both of these go to the TM
terminal? The terminal block does not look like it will accept two wires. Suggestions please.

Thanks novice

WhiteBird00
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE

Postby WhiteBird00 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:47 am

You don't have to forget about the accessory wire (black) but you'd have to replace the 4-pin trailer plug with a 6-pin and then mount the 5 to 4 adapter on the trailer rather than on the bike. The black wire wouldn't connect to the adapter but at least it would be available on the trailer if you wanted to use it for some accessory other than the tail lights (an interior light, power outlet plug, etc.).

It sounds like you may have the wrong adapter. There are numerous adapters in various configurations with the most common being five input and four output connections. Some are three to two because they only handle the turn signal and brake feeds while you just pass the tail lights and ground wires straight through. In any case, the input signals must all be kept separate - never connect two of them to the same terminal because you'll be shorting two circuits together. Then you'll have problems on the bike and the trailer still won't work.

Electrical Connection is a company that makes excellent electrical and electronic products for Gold Wings and other motorcycles. They have an adapter at http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns-trailer.htm (part number 07664). Note: I have no affiliation with EC - I'm just a satisfied customer of many years.

A Google search for "taillight converter" turned up many options such as this: http://www.wiringproducts.com/contents/en-us/d141.html.

Return to “Camping and Trailers”