bike quits on highway

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Thesseus
Motorcycle: 1988 gl 1500

bike quits on highway

Postby Thesseus » Wed May 02, 2012 8:30 pm

1500 gl 1988, 44500 miles

last summer had a plugged gas filter, it was replaced and ran fine till just putting it away for winter. It started to quit on me, but after a while would barely run but nursed it home for 20 miles, having gas cap opened or closed did not matter. Over winter installed new plugs, air filter and cleaned the gas pump filter it was dirty with an oil film and would not let gas through, after cleaning all was fine. It died again in the spring start up on the highway, it seems like an overheated coil. When it is cold it starts but has a slight miss, it takes a trained ear to pick it up, and when it kicks out it seems the spark is all over the place. Can the ignition control module be checked to see if it in sync or the spark unit. The timing belts appear ok. Will be changing the gas filter again in case the new one is plugged at the higher speeds.The miss firing spark has me perplexed, any ideals?

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Re: bike quits on highway

Postby HALBUDD » Wed May 02, 2012 9:21 pm

I would agree change the fuel filter,and put in some seafoam in your gas try a couple of tanks with the seafoam. This will help get rid of any oil and crud in your tank. Keep an eye on your new filter to see if it is getting dirty again,and if so change it again/ You may need to change it once or twice until your tank and fuel system gets cleaned out. This may also help with your miss,I would try this before taking everything apart. May save you some $$ just my 2 cents. Hal P.S. the film on your old filter sounds like varnish from your old gas!
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

Thesseus

Postby Thesseus » Thu May 03, 2012 5:40 am

The replacement has less than 4000 miles but since the filter on electric gas pump was clogged with some strange residue, it was throughly cleaned and there is Sea Foam in tank. Left Ontario for Florida and went 8 miles.The fuel delivery vacuumed tested and works fine the filter may be semi plugged from bad gas. However it starts sparking eradically, trying to find a dealer who can test ignition control unit. When cold it runs fine then dies, much like a coil going bad, it seems that all cylinders are getting an eractic spark. Then there is a spark unit??

Perplexed

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Postby hugger-4641 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:28 pm

I had a similar occurrence last fall with my 94 1500. I would suddenly die at odd times, when I pulled up to a stop light, pulled away from a stop light, etc. Turned out to be a loose lug on my positive battery terminal.

Thesseus

Postby Thesseus » Wed May 09, 2012 8:59 am

New filter installed incase old one partially pluggged and stalling at higher speeds. It is a definite electrical malfunction. Will be checking the pulse control next and a stronger look at the timing. The old plugs showed no bad cylanders and where in excellent shape other than gap wear.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed May 09, 2012 9:56 am

Don't forget one thing.The fuel is let into the carbs through a vacuum valve.It can be bypassed and tested.
Also,my 88 had 7 vacuum lines that were collapsing during use.They weakened at each tight 90* bend and caused all sorts of weird running problems.
There are 2 on each side of the intake runner,2 on the carbs and 1 under the rubber mat thats under the carbs.That one is well hidden but a documented fail point.
I haven't had any ignition problems,it seems to be a rock solid unit.
Warming up the bike,can exasperate a weak hose and it can literally collapse at the sharp 90* . I've watched it happen.One of those hoses(on the right side)does go to the ignition control module too.It has a test port on a "T" fitting.
Here's a few posts about them.
http://www.hrot.org/martino/carb/index.htm
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9224
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9356

Thesseus

Postby Thesseus » Wed May 16, 2012 9:09 pm

At the end of all, from first eliminating fuel delivery problems, most electrical sensors and pulse generatos, even heated and timing belts it was the Engine Control Module. A replacement was found at WingKing on Steels Ave West in Toronto. It is now running smooth and awaiting the tupperware to be put back on. There was full voltage to the module but with a timing light all the cylinders where miss firing. Perhaps this may help others in a similar predicament. Much thanks to those who have voiced advice about this and pulse generators, the forum and tech talk have been an invaluable help.

Thanks to all and happy Winging

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed May 16, 2012 10:24 pm

The ECM would have been my last expected part to fail.
I guess Sherlock Holmes was right,it must be...something or another...what was the question?
Oh yea...Good job and thanks for the details.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 17, 2012 9:46 am

Interesting, this is now the second time in the past couple of weeks I've read about a GL1500 ECM failing (not just outright dying, but doing strange things like this).

If I remember correctly, there is a bank of MOSFETs and a 7805 bolted to a heat sink inside the ECM. I wonder if just replacing the MOSFETs (which I assume drive the coils) would fix the problem?

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu May 17, 2012 10:25 am

I'd like to experiment on it also.I'm not sure if the failature was a coil not firing or firing at the wrong time and if it was all of them or just one.

Thesseus

Postby Thesseus » Thu May 17, 2012 10:21 pm

My bike was missfiring on all cylinders, so coils had to getting bad info from ECM.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri May 18, 2012 11:06 am

Ahhhh.loss of the coil grounding fet circuit on all of them.
The fet's are a electronic version of points.It would be odd that all 3 of them fail at the same times under the same conditions.
I'll bet they lost a good ground,a common point to all 3.

I lean more toward something that has to dissipate heat has broken loose.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Fri May 18, 2012 6:10 pm

You said belts appear OK, but did you check the tensioners. A few degrees off on one cam will wreak havoc on all cylinders.

Thesseus

Postby Thesseus » Fri May 18, 2012 10:18 pm

With another used ECM it has been running fine and real smooth. Haved saved my old unit and will be passing it on to an electronics technitian to evaluate. Unfortunately this will not happen till fall time. With parts getting scare it might be a simple test and fix, with luck. Although the bike has low milage it is an 88, time seems to get a lot of things.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sat May 19, 2012 9:55 am

All this info is invaluable for us.I too have a 88 so any post about them is of great interest.
My neutral indicator was odd.It would not light up when shifting from 2nd down but worked from1st up.
5 hours of work.I found the switch is bad.
The landing pad for the neutral wire is very small compared to the other pads.The wiper that makes contact with the pad was worn to a flat spot larger than the pad.I rounded it with a file to ensure a good contact area to fix it.

ptollefsen
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby ptollefsen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:08 pm

I am writing this in hopes that you can tell me if my problem sounds familiar to yours. My problem only happens at speeds between 60-70 mph. The bike seems to lose power and I have to throttle back then on again just to get speed up again. All the lights and power stay on but its like no fuel or no spark to cylinders. Hard to explain. It only happens between those speeds and happens wether or not I am riding two up or pulling a trailer or by myself. Have changed plugs, fuel and air filters. It does not happen at any other speed and doesnt happen all the time. It may be two weeks before it happens again. Does this sound at all like any of your problems?

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:58 pm

Hmmm..... 60-70 you say..I've not had any problems like that however pay attention to the rpm when it does it again.when it happens,drop the rpm about 200 rpm and throttle back up.
I seem to remember that at 3000 rpm 2 air control valves open up.Look at the tests for the CCM module.
You may have a bad vacuum line on the valve that opens at the 3000 rpm mark.They can fail at their 90° bend.
Also on the right side,just behind the suspension controlls,tucked into the frame area there is a black box with hoses on it.Remove it and service the filter.If it's turned to dust,some may have gotten sucked into the valves.
One more thing.The fuel shutoff valve is vacuum operated.Just a pinhole in the diaphgram or line may cause fuel starvation.It. an be bypassed for testing.

Thesseus

Postby Thesseus » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:17 pm

For me ECM but recently on a long drive out west it quit in North Dakota, thanks to the Gold Book got towed in to a knowlegeble person house, As we went through checking every thing even pulling the filter which worked when tested and where zeroing in on the fuel pump relay when the pump died, with a Honda Accord fuel pump installed completed my journey and returned some 4000 miles. It is still running fine. We talked to a former Honda mechanic and some times the pump has been know to run intermetinly. For the problem with ECM and the spark it was easy to see it bounced every where with a timing light. The pump also failed two retests before the new installation. Even with all the not nice secondary roads the connection where all solid. Was cruising around 65-70 when it quit. One other problem on the return was no charging due to worn dusty brushes in the alternator. It was up and down with the speed till it died. It seems the brushes are good for 50,000 miles and need to be replaced perhaps if one has this problem a few taps with a solid object on the alternator may loosen them up, it my situation the battery ran down completely.

Hope this is of some help.

Hope this will help.

Lebouc
Motorcycle: GL1500SE 2000

Postby Lebouc » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:30 pm

ptollefsen wrote:I am writing this in hopes that you can tell me if my problem sounds familiar to yours. My problem only happens at speeds between 60-70 mph. The bike seems to lose power and I have to throttle back then on again just to get speed up again. All the lights and power stay on but its like no fuel or no spark to cylinders. Hard to explain. It only happens between those speeds and happens wether or not I am riding two up or pulling a trailer or by myself. Have changed plugs, fuel and air filters. It does not happen at any other speed and doesnt happen all the time. It may be two weeks before it happens again. Does this sound at all like any of your problems?

I seem to have the same problem you have , mine is a SE 2000 GL1500 at first it use to do it only after riding a while or on very cold weather , but recently , wether its hot or cold outside and riding a while or just starting when i hit 70 mph 3,200 RPM it starts to lose power and can't keep up 3,200 RPM so i have to let go the throttle until i hit about 50 mph then i slowly turn the throttle back up and it picks back up and stays ok as long as i stay under 65 mph or 3,100 RPM , thanks for any advices !!!!
P.S : Since i'm a french fellow , excuse me for any english writing mistakes i might've made !!!!

Lebouc
Motorcycle: GL1500SE 2000

Postby Lebouc » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:37 am

Lebouc wrote:
ptollefsen wrote:I am writing this in hopes that you can tell me if my problem sounds familiar to yours. My problem only happens at speeds between 60-70 mph. The bike seems to lose power and I have to throttle back then on again just to get speed up again. All the lights and power stay on but its like no fuel or no spark to cylinders. Hard to explain. It only happens between those speeds and happens wether or not I am riding two up or pulling a trailer or by myself. Have changed plugs, fuel and air filters. It does not happen at any other speed and doesnt happen all the time. It may be two weeks before it happens again. Does this sound at all like any of your problems?

I seem to have the same problem you have , mine is a SE 2000 GL1500 at first it use to do it only after riding a while or on very cold weather , but recently , wether its hot or cold outside and riding a while or just starting when i hit 70 mph 3,200 RPM it starts to lose power and can't keep up 3,200 RPM so i have to let go the throttle until i hit about 50 mph then i slowly turn the throttle back up and it picks back up and stays ok as long as i stay under 65 mph or 3,100 RPM , thanks for any advices !!!!
P.S : Since i'm a french fellow , excuse me for any english writing mistakes i might've made !!!!

Hi all , I noticed something else with my problem , the colder it gets outside the sooner the problem starts , i recently stored my Wing last week actually , it was at freezing point here (in Quebec) and the bike was doing it at lower speed , this summer it started at 65 mph a little later at 60 mph , and last week i could barely it 55 mph before the bike starts losing power , and it really feels like i'm losing a couple cylinders until i throttle back down , can a coil pack or an ECM be faulty at some specific speed you think ?? thanks !!!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:44 am

Lebouc wrote:Hi all , I noticed something else with my problem , the colder it gets outside the sooner the problem starts , i recently stored my Wing last week actually , it was at freezing point here (in Quebec) and the bike was doing it at lower speed , this summer it started at 65 mph a little later at 60 mph , and last week i could barely it 55 mph before the bike starts losing power , and it really feels like i'm losing a couple cylinders until i throttle back down , can a coil pack or an ECM be faulty at some specific speed you think ?? thanks !!!!

That points toward a lean mixture problem - not enough fuel getting to the cylinders at higher power settings. When it's colder, the air is more dense, and this leans the mixture out. Normally the carburetor will take this into account and deliver more fuel to keep the mixture optimum, but if something in the fuel system is restricting the amount of fuel available, then the mixture will become more and more lean.

I would look at the fuel delivery system. Check the petcock for a pinhole, replace the fuel filter, and while you have the fuel filter disconnected, do a fuel volume test on the fuel pump to make sure it is capable of delivering enough fuel:

Fuel Pump Operation Test
Remove the right fairing inner cover.
Turn the ignition switch OFF.
Disconnect the engine control module connector.
Short the BLK/WHT and BLK/BLU wire connector terminals with a jumper wire.
Fuel Pump Test 1
Fuel Pump Test 1

Disconnect the fuel pump outlet line at the fuel filter. Hold a graduated beaker under the tube.
WARNING: Keep gasoline away from flames or sparks. Wipe up spilled gasoline at once.
Turn the ignition switch ON, let fuel flow into the beaker for 5 seconds, then turn the ignition switch off.
Multiply the amount in the beaker by 12 to determine the fuel pump flow capacity per minute.
Fuel Pump Minimum Flow: 640 cc (21.6 oz)/minute
Fuel Pump Test 2
Fuel Pump Test 2

cookie
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500
1980 GSX 1100

Postby cookie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:34 am

i've just had the same problem ,did the fuel pump test and no luck also no spark at the plugs also think i've killed the
ecm

gary

JL636
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500
Aspencade

Postby JL636 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:14 pm

I had a similiar problem with the bike just quiting. It didn't make any difference what speed, slow, highway, it would just quit like a switch was flipped. I'd turn off the ignition switch and back on and the bike would fire as if nothing had happened. In reading the above posts I tried seafoam, fresh gas and a few choice cuss words...nothing helped. Well it was off the my friendly Honda dealer to see if I had bought a lemon or what. As the mechanic put her up on the lift, it quit so he took it back down and it quit again. Well as luck would have it, it turned out to be none of the things mentioned in the posts but rather a lean angle sensor that went bad. The mechanic took it off the bike and shook it and it sounded as thought there was a marble inside..not good. He replaced it and "my baby" is purring along not missing a beat.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:54 pm

JL636 wrote:I had a similiar problem with the bike just quiting. It didn't make any difference what speed, slow, highway, it would just quit like a switch was flipped. I'd turn off the ignition switch and back on and the bike would fire as if nothing had happened. In reading the above posts I tried seafoam, fresh gas and a few choice cuss words...nothing helped. Well it was off the my friendly Honda dealer to see if I had bought a lemon or what. As the mechanic put her up on the lift, it quit so he took it back down and it quit again. Well as luck would have it, it turned out to be none of the things mentioned in the posts but rather a lean angle sensor that went bad. The mechanic took it off the bike and shook it and it sounded as thought there was a marble inside..not good. He replaced it and "my baby" is purring along not missing a beat.

Anytime an engine cuts out like you switched it off, you need to start by looking at the electrical side of things. If the engine cuts out gradually like it's running out of gas, then you start looking at the fuel side.

G14
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500 goldwing

Postby G14 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:08 pm

Today while riding on Highway, my 1988 gl1500 loss power too.. if felt as if I was out of gas but just filled it up. After a few minutes (about 10) it started up again and ran fine for another 15 minutes..it did this 3 times and then I unscrewed the gas cap which I heard a suction and put it back on..it ran fine for approximately 30 miles and I made it home..gonna start to dionast it in the morning.. where should I start with it..the gas lines??
Thanks

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”