Another manual discrepancy?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
harkgold
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Another manual discrepancy?

Postby harkgold » Thu May 10, 2012 9:25 pm

I'm working on the final drive unit on my '84 GL1200 Interstate.

On the U-joint end of the drive shaft is a damper spring being held back and under tension by means of a stopper ring and C-clip.

Both my Clymers and Haynes shop manuals specifically make note to remove and discard this stopper ring and C-clip and then go on to explain that these were only used during the manufacturing process, are not necessary to the operation of the bike, and do not need to be replaced.

On the other hand my official Honda shop manual specifically says to replace the stopper ring and C-clip with a new one.

Again, who do I believe in this case?

Thanks for your input!

Harkgold :?:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Another manual discrepancy?

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 10, 2012 9:31 pm

I would 100% put the spring seat and circlip back on. The stop ring on the final drive end of the shaft I think is safe to leave off. I base this on knowing the GL1500 driveshaft, which is almost identical. It requires the spring seat and circlip (snap ring) to be replaced and in place when reinserting. You could easily leave the spring behind next time you remove the driveshaft without it!

The stop ring, the GL1500 manual says to discard. From the GL1500 manual:

The stopper ring removed during disassembly does not have to be reinstalled. It is used for production line purposes.

Perhaps this is where Haynes and Clymer got this from? Because it certainly doesn't say this in the GL1200 manual. In NEITHER the GL1200 or GL1500 manuals does it say to leave off the spring seat and circlip.

harkgold

Postby harkgold » Fri May 11, 2012 2:55 am

WingAdmin wrote:I would 100% put the spring seat and circlip back on. The stop ring on the final drive end of the shaft I think is safe to leave off. I base this on knowing the GL1500 driveshaft, which is almost identical. It requires the spring seat and circlip (snap ring) to be replaced and in place when reinserting. You could easily leave the spring behind next time you remove the driveshaft without it!

The stop ring, the GL1500 manual says to discard. From the GL1500 manual:

The stopper ring removed during disassembly does not have to be reinstalled. It is used for production line purposes.

Perhaps this is where Haynes and Clymer got this from? Because it certainly doesn't say this in the GL1200 manual. In NEITHER the GL1200 or GL1500 manuals does it say to leave off the spring seat and circlip.

I guess I'm becoming confused with what you are describing as a "spring seat". I don't see such a part being described as a spring seat in any of my manual drawings.
Referring back to my original message:.....and referring only to the U-joint end of the drive shaft....on the u-joint end of the drive shaft there are only three items....the long heavy coiled "Damper Spring" which is being held under tension by both the "stopper ring" and a "C-clip" that holds the stopper ring in place.

The Clymers and Haynes manuals both say to remove only the stopper ring and its c-clip. It's not saying to remove the damper spring.

When the stopper ring and its c-clip are removed the damper spring of course becomes un-sprung and stretches to nearly the length of the flanges on the u-joint end of the drive shaft.

Located on the opposite end of the drive shaft is another larger C-clip which I assumed stays in place and is not mentioned in any of the manuals.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri May 11, 2012 1:56 pm

I didn't mean you're supposed to take the spring off - it's important that it's there. I meant that without the seal and circlip, the next time you take the driveshaft out of the universal joint, you could well end up leaving the spring inside the swingarm.

Here's the GL1200 manual's diagram of the parts:

GL1200 Driveshaft
GL1200 Driveshaft

On my GL1500, I removed the circlip, spring seat and spring, because I needed to replace the oil seal, and that's the only way to get it off:

Once I put the new oil seal on, I replaced the spring, seat and circlip:

On the other end, I removed the stop ring from the driveshaft and threw it away, as it instructed in the Honda service manual.

When it comes down to it, whenever there is a discrepancy between the Clymer or Haynes manuals and the Honda manual, I would go with the Honda manual.

harkgold

Postby harkgold » Fri May 11, 2012 3:06 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I didn't mean you're supposed to take the spring off - it's important that it's there. I meant that without the seal and circlip, the next time you take the driveshaft out of the universal joint, you could well end up leaving the spring inside the swingarm.

Here's the GL1200 manual's diagram of the parts:

GL1200 Driveshaft.gif

On my GL1500, I removed the circlip, spring seat and spring, because I needed to replace the oil seal, and that's the only way to get it off:

Once I put the new oil seal on, I replaced the spring, seat and circlip:

On the other end, I removed the stop ring from the driveshaft and threw it away, as it instructed in the Honda service manual.

When it comes down to it, whenever there is a discrepancy between the Clymer or Haynes manuals and the Honda manual, I would go with the Honda manual.

Ohhhhhhh. O.K. I understand now. I guess I lost your meaning in the translation somewhere. Now that you drew me some pictures I got it.
I guess what I am going to do is put my Clymers and Haynes manuals back on the shelf and only use my Honda Service Manual. But, after I make notes in them to "see the Honda manual regarding this" so this does not become another issue in the future.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”