Boot warmer vents won't close

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
cardinal
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500SE

Boot warmer vents won't close

Postby cardinal » Thu May 10, 2012 11:17 pm

So It's warming up, here in the Central Valley of California, and I notice that there's a fair amount of hot air down near my shins. I made sure the vents at shin height are closed, but still get hot air. Started looking lower and found that the vents below the rear brake and shift lever are open. I turn the knob thats supposed to close them, but it's already twisted as far to closed side as it will go. Tried twisting the other direction and sure enough....they open up a bit more. They aren't closed equaly...welllll..they are now after a little help from our friend "duct tape" they're closed completly :roll:

Any body ever had this problem? How much of the fairing am I going to have to remove to fix this? Or is the problem up near the knob?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Boot warmer vents won't close

Postby WingAdmin » Fri May 11, 2012 1:45 pm

cardinal wrote:So It's warming up, here in the Central Valley of California, and I notice that there's a fair amount of hot air down near my shins. I made sure the vents at shin height are closed, but still get hot air. Started looking lower and found that the vents below the rear brake and shift lever are open. I turn the knob thats supposed to close them, but it's already twisted as far to closed side as it will go. Tried twisting the other direction and sure enough....they open up a bit more. They aren't closed equaly...welllll..they are now after a little help from our friend "duct tape" they're closed completly :roll:

Any body ever had this problem? How much of the fairing am I going to have to remove to fix this? Or is the problem up near the knob?

You can get to the cables without removing a whole lot. You'll need to remove the fairing lowers, which is a fairly simple procedure - see steps 1 through 17 on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9444

The cables are routed down from the fairing, on the right side, in front of the right radiator, where they split and go in front of the timing belt covers, then back around to the doors. The back side of the knob can be accessed by removing the right turn signal. You can see some pictures of the cables here: http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt ... 085#p45085

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Fri May 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Thanks for the info. It's going to be interesting to see why they aren't operating equally......got a feeling that will be at the knob.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri May 11, 2012 3:23 pm

cardinal wrote:Thanks for the info. It's going to be interesting to see why they aren't operating equally......got a feeling that will be at the knob.

Not likely - the knob has one cable that goes down and splits into two cables right next to the right radiator, so if they're not operating equally, it's likely going to be somewhere below there.

cardinal

Postby cardinal » Fri May 11, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks, I'll definitely start at the bottom and work my way up. My upcoming trip will have to be done with duct tape in place :oops:

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”