headsets needed

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

headsets needed

Postby RBGERSON » Tue May 15, 2012 8:38 am

JUST BOUGHT A 97 GL1500 SE need headsets/mic etc. standard 5 pin for cb/intercom/radio setup..flipup style helmets. J&M? or Edset or?? under $50???

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: headsets needed

Postby cbx4evr » Tue May 15, 2012 8:56 am

RBGERSON wrote:JUST BOUGHT A 97 GL1500 SE need headsets/mic etc. standard 5 pin for cb/intercom/radio setup..flipup style helmets. J&M? or Edset or?? under $50???

For "under $50" you'll be getting two soup cans and a string.

Communication systems aren't cheap if you want something that works well. They seldom come up in the used market. It took me three years to get mine.

What brand of helmets are you using?
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

terryj
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby terryj » Tue May 15, 2012 10:26 am

If your handy with a soldering iron and can read a schematic you can build your own headset for about 15.00. I built mine and my wifes headsets, they work great, no distortation in the mics and the speakers are very good also. I've had nothing but good reports from others in our GWTA chapter as to the clairity of voice on the CB, the intercom audio is crystal clear.
I used a Radio shack elect condensor mic, cost about 2.99
Water proof speakers- cost about 3.00 each
2 capacitors- .59
1 resistor - .89 for a pack of 10
1 9v battery.

Just a matter of wire them up and installing them in the helmets.

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Tue May 15, 2012 10:37 am

I have a battery operated set I bought for $9..works fine for intercom and music..but I want a set to plug into my "new" 1500's audio system. to use the bike's radio, cb and intercom.

My helmets are seven-zero-seven and a TMS both flip-ups modular

FAIR WINDS,
RB

terryj

Postby terryj » Tue May 15, 2012 10:52 am

The ones I built connect to the radio and cb via the 5 pin DIN connector, thereby, allowing the use of the 1500's radio and cb systems. The 5 pin DIN connector allows for mic hi, mic low, speaker left and right and common. Connecting it to the 5 pin DIN allows the controls to be done with the 1500's intercom and cb. The passenger headset runs through the interface control for the passenger allowing for separate volume control and PTT for the passenger.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 15, 2012 11:00 am

Welcome to 1500 ownership! Seems like there's a big group of us 1100 owners buying 1500's this year...

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Tue May 15, 2012 11:52 am

YeaH got a good deal..I think...

What's the 9V battery for..??

I am not an electrical whiz but can follow instructions and hold a soldering iron do you have a diaphragm?? picture??

FAIR WINDS,
RB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue May 15, 2012 12:56 pm

The Goldwing is set up to use a rather old-fashioned dynamic microphone rather than a modern condenser mic. Dynamic mics are larger, and not easy to find these days. You can set it up to use a condenser mic in a headset, but condensers need a bias voltage in order to operate. Cell phones and pretty much every other item that use plug-in microphones provide a bias voltage automatically for the microphone. The Goldwing doesn't, so you have to provide it (hence the 9v battery). The amount of current used is extremely small, so a 9v battery would last for years of use.

You can't send 9 volts into the Goldwing's intercom, so you need to use capacitors to allow the sound from the microphone to pass, but block the 9v bias power.

Technically, the signal output from condensers is much smaller than that from a dynamic mic, so you SHOULD have a small op-amp to amplify the mic output before feeding it to the intercom. However, you can just turn the intercom volume up which (more or less) accomplishes the same thing, although it also increases background and extraneous noise.

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Tue May 15, 2012 3:04 pm

I think I understand.. so anyone have a picture/schematic for me to work from??? remember I am electrically challenged.

or anyone care to build two for me and I'll pay for the materials and your time?

This what I am looking at buying on ebay but there is only one listed right now..

http://tinyurl.com/7xll7n7

FAIR WINDS,
RB

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Mon May 21, 2012 8:11 am

A big thanks to Terryj he's building me two headsets..this forum is great. Hope we all remember to pass it on in someway.

FAIR WINDS,
RB

terryj

Postby terryj » Mon May 21, 2012 11:10 am

RBGERSON wrote:A big thanks to Terryj he's building me two headsets..this forum is great. Hope we all remember to pass it on in someway.

RBGERSON, I"m a retired Electronics Engineer, all I have is time, it's great, got time to ride, time to tinker, time to do nothing at all and most of all time to fish. I don't mind helping out another motorcycle enthusiast.

GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1980 CB900 Custom (parted and sold)
1988 GL1500 (dark side 175/75-16)
Pull-behind trailer (my design)

Postby GoldWingRev » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:24 am

Anybody parting with a set of these, or Terryj are you still up for building some? I've been having a hard time finding a set for my bike.
"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:37 am

Just FYI..the building never happened. I ended up gettign some old helmets cheap and took the headsets out and installed in my nice new helmets worked out..sold the old helmets and almost broke even..check your local Craigslist or the MC forums for someone selling used headsets or helmets???

FAIR WINDS,
RB

GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1980 CB900 Custom (parted and sold)
1988 GL1500 (dark side 175/75-16)
Pull-behind trailer (my design)

Postby GoldWingRev » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:54 am

Yeah, I've been doing just that to no avail. But it's only been a short time yet. Thank you for that quick response.
"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins)

nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Postby nitefuzz » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:00 pm

I purchased J&M HS8154B Headset from Wingstuff for mine and my wife's helmets (only $69 each for them) we are very happt with them and they have wonderful stereo sound, no complaints so far, will have to see how long they last. They are not Bluetooth, so yes they use the 5 pin connection which gives us communications without ever worrying about if the battery is going to run out. It took about 15 minutes to mount them in our helmet's and was very easy to do. I was concerned about the quality of the product but am shocked at how great they work based on the cheaper price. I've seen them at 200 or more which is out of my budget for spending on the wing.

furnacedoc
Motorcycle: 1981 suzuki GS850
1997 1500SE gold wing

Postby furnacedoc » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:03 pm

Hello , Please let us all know how the headsets work so when we need to replace ours we can see how well yours worked. and YES this is a fantastic site. See ya on the road

nitefuzz
Motorcycle: 1998 GL 1500 SE, found the bike in October 2013 with only 20,000 miles.

Postby nitefuzz » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:54 am

Hey Furnacedoc, you better see me on the road, since we will be riding together every chance we get............... brother.

Master Mike
Motorcycle: 1983 Shadow VT750,
(basket case)
1984 GL1200 Aspen,
1998 GL1500 SE.
1988 BushTec Utility

Postby Master Mike » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:40 am

Ok this is my first post to the forums. I have read the headset forum and was wondering if TerryJ being that he is such a master at the electrical aspect of my little project. I would like to build my own headsets for my wife and I. I have been eyeballing the 50mm 32ohm Mylar speakers, the boom mike an Adjustable Gain Electret Mic with M101 Style Mount from rugged radios, and any other the accessories I might need to complete my project I guess what i am asking is have I chose the right stuff to make a nice set of helmet systems? Please feel free to set me right, or correct my trajectory. I know where I want to go but sometimes the path is had to see.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:31 pm

Master Mike wrote:Ok this is my first post to the forums. I have read the headset forum and was wondering if TerryJ being that he is such a master at the electrical aspect of my little project. I would like to build my own headsets for my wife and I. I have been eyeballing the 50mm 32ohm Mylar speakers, the boom mike an Adjustable Gain Electret Mic with M101 Style Mount from rugged radios, and any other the accessories I might need to complete my project I guess what i am asking is have I chose the right stuff to make a nice set of helmet systems? Please feel free to set me right, or correct my trajectory. I know where I want to go but sometimes the path is had to see.

The Goldwing intercom system utilizes dynamic mics, not electret. Electret mics require a bias (phantom) power in order to operate, and generate a tiny signal compared to dynamic mics. That said, electret mics are much smaller than dynamic mics, and offer newer technologies like passive noise reduction. Dynamic mics are ancient technology, and are hard to find.

In order to use an electret mic, you will need to add a circuit that both powers the mic capsule, as well as amplifies the signal so that the Goldwing intercom will be able to hear the mic output.

dwitgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade CSC sidecar, 1969 CB350, 1977 Suzuki GS750, Honda Odyssey Fl250 (now a 440)

Postby dwitgoldwing » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:44 pm

Well, for me, the headset path is more of a relentless "pursuit of happiness" than actually getting THE perfect setup. I'm sure a lot of guys will be happy with the plain-Jane J&M headset speakers. When I got my first pair of J&M's they sounded OK, for a couple weeks. But, with me being a stereo/technology/musician/music fan, and most definitely an audiophile, the J&M speakers got fatiguing in a very short time and music sounded terrible with No real bass. I have had several sets of J&M headsets and they do make a very good quality product. For me, however, the sound quality is severely lacking, regardless of level of headset, (I've had all of them up to the Elites). And yes, I spent countless hours experimenting with speaker placement and MANY different helmets.
My current setup is split between using the J&M microphone and mounting system mated with Studio headphones, (summer time), and the J&M microphone and mounting system mated with Shure hi-end in-ear earphones. I am basically happy with my current setup, and I do believe once I get my windshield tall enough and wide enough, I will be VERY happy with the entire system.
I believe, if you just want OK sound and be able to communicate well with your co-rider, then the J&M setup is hard to beat. They have been around a long time and John Lazzeroni and company at J&M make great stuff. I have their handlebar mount JMCB-2003 and it works VERY well for CB and Intercom.
Best wishes...
DW

Master Mike
Motorcycle: 1983 Shadow VT750,
(basket case)
1984 GL1200 Aspen,
1998 GL1500 SE.
1988 BushTec Utility

Postby Master Mike » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:11 pm

Wow, Thanks WingAdmin and dwitgoldwing for your responses you guys have covered all the bases. I am kind of an Audiophile so want the music great. I have considered the in-ear audio but am not sure a long ride would be comfortable, plus the wire becomes an issue with dawning and doffing my helmet. The communication could be spotty even non existent well you know why. Lets get real the more she enjoys the ride the more I will be able to ride and that's what it is all about. I guess Ill just have to install a PTT switch on the handle bars for her mic., then tell her the vox doesn't work until she yells loud enough to engage the auto-vox then it comes on for 10sec only. J/K. :lol:

amsoilguy
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby amsoilguy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks for the evaluation info dwit...
Allan

'88 GL1500

dwitgoldwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade CSC sidecar, 1969 CB350, 1977 Suzuki GS750, Honda Odyssey Fl250 (now a 440)

Postby dwitgoldwing » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:07 pm

I understand some guys may want limited communication on the bike...
I just happened to be blessed with a great co-rider and we spend hours in fun conversation every time we ride.
As far as using large over-the-ear headsets, I have experimented with several options.
The problem stems from getting the large headset speakers to fit in the ear cups of your helmet.

My current favorite setup is a Sennheiser studio headphone, with J&M microphone and cable, (mine is 6 pin to hook to my JMCB2003 handlebar CB and intercom). I modified my headphones to connect directly to the speaker leads on the J&M Elite headset system I bought for my KBC Tour Com helmets. I attached the J&M boom to the left headset cup directly and ran the wires into the left speaker.
When the weather is cold, I wear a stocking cap under the headset and the studio headphone ear cups still seal really well around my ears. The only complaint I have with my current pair of headphones is that the plastic cups do transmit quite a bit of wind noise to my head and ears. The sound is GREAT, though. Full, Hi-Fidelity, stereo sound. NO J&M speaker I have tried even comes close. Kinda like the difference between a $10,000 stereo and an old transistor radio, if you get my meaning. This setup is strictly a WITHOUT helmet scenario... so good sound comes with a sacrifice of safety. Basically it is a set of studio headphones with boom mic attached.

I have experimented with MANY different headphone speakers, including over $200 Bose headsets, (I bought the model that was compatible with my iPhone so I could answer cell calls on the bike, (after I pull over), without taking off my helmet. To this point, I am over $1500 in my journey to sonic excellence on my headset setup. I find a lot of headset speakers just are too big to fit in the helmet...and I have been designing and redesigning helmets to accomodate proper sonic quality and make room for larger headphones. I have tried taking the speakers out of good quality headphones and just mounting them in the ear cups of my helmet, but the ear cushions of headphones is a very VITAL component of having GREAT sound. So I think I am going to experiment with larger helmets that have big ear cups and mount in High-End headphone speakers.

Let me comment about the in-ear earphone setup. I do like this setup because it gives you ear plugs to block a lot of road noise, and the sound quality is excellent. I am probably going back to this setup for winter riding. It definitely IS a hassle to put the earphones in and don the helmet, (especially if you're riding with a group). Still, I think I will revisit this setup because it is the BEST way to be free from road/wind noise and have the FULLEST sound all the time. I plan to visit an audiologist and have them make custom ear molds for my Shure ear phones. That should give the BEST sound and noise reduction.

I don't think I will do the Bluetooth setup at this time because I have SEVERAL cabled J&M sets and the boom mic serves me well. I also am not sure about the longevity of the batteries in the headsets. Maybe if I come across some money, I might experiment with a pair, but I am concerned sound quality may be lacking.
Well we can throw around some more ideas, if you like...
Don W.

JPochron
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Postby JPochron » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:16 am

I purchased a 1989 GL1500 trike and it came with a helmet that has the Chatterbox headset installed that utilizes the 5 Pin din cable. I plugged the cable into the Bikes intercom and can faintly hear anything from the speakers in the helmet. The majority of the sound comes from the Bikes speakers and overwhelms the helmets speakers. I don't have a manual to read to learn how to operate the intercom and CB so I haven't a clue if I need to change any settings to reduce or prevent the sound coming from the Bike's speakers and switch it to the helmet's speakers. If anyone can assist me in figuring out how to properly use the Intercom/Radio/CB I would appreciate it. I also need to get a setup for my wife's helmet so we can communicate so I nay of you electronic geniuses can build me 1 I would gladly pay you for it or if anyone has something I can use for sale or recommend a good system to purchase to would utilize all the features the GL1500 Radio System has that would work to. Anyhow great forum, lots of good advice and people. Happy Riding !!!!!!!!! :D

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:15 pm

I can't speak for the Chatterbox system, but the GL1500's stock setup uses a simple push button (with a headphones icon) on the radio control panel on the false tank.

If it's working properly, NO sound comes from the speakers...it ALL goes through the headsets (radio, cassette, intercom, CB, the works). You have tried that button, right?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”