Display flashes

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
pgjeepster
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Interstate

Display flashes

Postby pgjeepster » Wed May 16, 2012 3:46 pm

My display for the clock/radio flashes when I rev the motor and when it runs at highway speed. I mean everything flashes it shows headphone cb mute everything/ symbol on the display broken symbols unreadable and then it will go blank for a second or two except for the clock this seems to be ok.At steady idle it's ok. I am guessing a loose connection? any ideas where to start? 1988 gl with 95k kilometers. Thanks

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Display flashes

Postby virgilmobile » Wed May 16, 2012 4:10 pm

I've never heard of this before but....
As far as I know,the LCD display assembly gets it's display data from the radio,so any lost data would simply be displayed as a blank until the radio can refresh it.
I can surmise that the radio is probably loosing main power.You will have to pull it loose to get to the connector and use a volt meter to look at the volts while you get it to flash.
Either the switched volts are going away from the bike or there is a hairline crack on the PC board where it makes connection.

The first thing to do is to remove the ignition switch shelter.At the back of it is the plus that goes into the radio.Get it to flash and put some pressure on the plug and wires.If its intermittent there,a bit of binding should stabilize it.
If that's no help,get a DVM and look at the switched and main power volts.
A full schematic can be downloaded for the radio under the manuals tab.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 17, 2012 10:11 am

The clock and suspension air pressure portion of the LCD are powered separately from the rest. If the clock and air pressure (when Pressure Check button is pressed) work normally when the rest of the display is malfunctioning, then the problem is going to be related somehow to the radio.

That said...the radio transmits data to the display, the display has a driver that actually controls the LCD segments (the radio doesn't drive the various LCD segments directly). The fact that ALL of the segments come on and then go away might suggest that it's an LCD driver problem, not a radio problem. However, I doubt they would have a separate driver for the clock and for the radio - and if the LCD driver was the problem, then it would likely affect ALL the LCD segments.

Also, being that the problem is exhibited when the engine RPM is increased leads me to think it's voltage related - when the bike's voltage increases with increased RPM, the driver is flaking out.

Unfortunately the service manual doesn't help much with this - it basically says "check the wires between the LCD and the radio connectors, if they check out OK, replace the radio and/or LCD panel."

From GL1500 ETM:

Test C: Radio Operates but Radio Information Does Not Display Properly

1. Check continuity at RED, WHT, GRY, and two BLK circuits between radio connector C2 and C91.
If yes, go to step 2.
If no, repair open circuits.

2. Replace the radio/cassette deck with a known good unit. Operate radio to see if display operates normally.
If yes, replace the radio/cassette deck.
If no, replace instrument panel.

pgjeepster
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Interstate

Postby pgjeepster » Thu May 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Replaced the radio with a new(old) one from a re-cycler no flashing yet I guess it was the radio? Give it a few days and we'll see. Now the battery is going holds a charge for 1 1/2 days oh well older bikes keep you intimate with them always have your finger on their pulse to see what is next. It's nice to be needed but it can get expensive.

Sorry thanks for all your help fellas appreciate it!!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri May 18, 2012 11:48 am

Keep us up to date please.I'm really interested if replacing the "radio" fixed the display problem.

It's probably time to look over the alternator while your mucking about the battery.
I pulled mine to check the bearings(good) and found one of the brushes needed replacing.Any alternator shop can do this cheap

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”