Am I forgetting anything?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Blackngold
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Am I forgetting anything?

Postby Blackngold » Sat May 19, 2012 12:58 am

I just purchased a 1998 1500SE with 46,000 miles and while I feel the previous owner took good care of it I kinda need the piece of mind in putting it thru a full service. I've compiled a list of To do's and am seeking input about anything I might have missed.
TO -- DO
Fuel filter-- NAPA 3011,air filter,sub air filter, cruise air filter,oil filter and oil,replace spark plugs,replace rear end lube. As the bike is 12yrs. old should I flush and replace clutch fluid,brake fluid,radiator,replace all fuel lines, replace spark plug wires,replace timing belt? Also should the front fork fluid be replaced? What about the overhead,are there any valve adjustments that need to be made? The engine purrrrs so I'm hesitant about any carb work but what about vacum lines and is there a preferred carb cleaner/additive? How is the drive shaft lubed? Are there any grease fittings?
I really don't want any surprises when I go to Shenandoah Mtns this fall(long time goal) so any input is greatly appreciated. Have already learned a ton from this site, THX :D

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: Am I forgetting anything?

Postby trike lady » Sat May 19, 2012 1:09 am

Yes on the clutch and brake fluid, timing belts and no valve adjustment needed (Hydraulic). I would replace the coolant, as long as the engine is running fine I wouldn't touch it. Check the condition of the hoses and replace the ones that look bad.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Am I forgetting anything?

Postby WingAdmin » Sat May 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Your list is pretty much exactly what I did to my 1500 when I got it. Replace all fluids (oil, final drive gear oil, coolant, clutch/brake fluids, fork oil), replace timing belts, plugs, all filters. I didn't bother with plug wires or vacuum lines, as they were all working fine.

I also replaced brake pads while I was at it, and tires as mine were cupped fairly badly.

I'd add removing the rear wheel and cleaning/lubricating the driveshaft and final drive splines to your list.

Have a look at the 1500 How-To articles and you'll get a fairly good list.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”