compu-fire is great, but still have problems after install

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
English Bulldog
Motorcycle: 1996 gl1500a/2 aspencade

compu-fire is great, but still have problems after install

Postby English Bulldog » Tue May 22, 2012 4:38 pm

Installed compu-fire battery and alternator at Honda shop March 1, 2012 on my 1996 GL1500A and it worked great. Today is May 21,2012 and the battery died in traffic. Leading up to this....two weeks ago, my headlight fuse blew. I replaced it. No problems. Then last week, while using reverse in normal conditions, the battery gage went to to the red zone. I charged the battery with the battery tender I have installed on the compu-fire battery. It seemed to take the charge, I was back in the green. Today as I rode, I watched the lights slowly go to red in 30 miles., until it stopped. The bike is back at a different Honda shop. I don't know what to think. Should I not use reverse? I do have a ring of fire, and lower lights that were installed previously. Maybe they are not wired correctly. I am upset that my problems weren't eliminated with the compu-fire.

Last edited by English Bulldog on Tue May 22, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: compu-fire is great, but still have problems after insta

Postby robb » Tue May 22, 2012 5:01 pm

What I know is that a battery tender will help maintain a battery but not build it to the position it needs to be. If it went dead then it needs a complete charge or else it will run down fast. Reverse puts a load to the battery, but if alternator has an output all will be good. From experience with my 89 about 30 miles is max off battery alone. Were you able to get a voltage reading from battery at 30 miles, if less than 12vdc there is definately a problem.

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:09 am

Have you replaced the battery as the Compu-Fire that I bought had a new battery that I had to install along with the alternator.

Can I sugget that you check out this site
http://www.compufire.com/index.php?opti ... 3&Itemid=5

This may help.

Kiwi2

willboy57
Motorcycle: 1987 1200 Interstate

Postby willboy57 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:01 pm

You state that the problems "weren't eliminated with the Compu-fire". We're you having this problem before it was installed? If so, was the original altenator output tested before it was changed out?

English Bulldog

Postby English Bulldog » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:15 pm

When I bought the bike this year it had charging problems when it was traded in, so I just decided to start with compu-fire alternator/battery package. I had bikes in the past with charging problems, it is frustrating. I thought I was being proactive. I broke down on the way to work last week. The honda shop determined, one week later, that the alternator isn't putting out a charge at all. They returned it to compu-fire to have them repair/replace it under warranty. I hope this is the fix. I am worried about additional lighting that was previously added, and ring of fire. I am not sure they were wired correctly, cb was removed and switches were added there. I don't know much about electronics. I am losing hope in the dependability of the 1500, this is my first goldwing.

terryj
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby terryj » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:58 am

The "ring of fire" isn't going to draw that much current, there LED's and at most they will draw about .3 amps. As for the charging problems, have you checked the "white" wire going from the alternator to the battery for signs of corrosion? When you install a higher amperage alternator you should upgrade the "white" battery feed wire from the alternator. These wires were designed for a 40 amp system and once you start to exceed around 50 amps of current draw the OEM wire will start to heat up.This wire is a real PITA to replace, the easiest way to fix this is to add another wire of the same size as the OEM wire, just parallel it with the "white" wire.

budavari
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby budavari » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:05 am

I installed a Compu Fire alternator on my 93 1500 probably 4 years ago, using the stock wiring. I just unbolted and removed the original, bad alternator and installed the Compu Fire without any wiring modifications. I have a ring of fire, headlight and brake light modulators, evne a 500 watt amplifier for my audio system and I pull a trailer with 4 corner laights and tail/brake/turn signals and I've never had any power issues. The Compu Fire puts out more amperage at idle than the stock alternator did at top rpm. Your Compu Fire could be faulty.

English Bulldog

Postby English Bulldog » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:20 am

After the replacement part was put in, it has worked well ever since. It was just a faulty part I recieved. It is now Oct 2014. Running great, even over the winter, fired right up in the spring. Very happy with compufire battery and alternator.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”