92 1500SE Brakes

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
teal92
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE

92 1500SE Brakes

Postby teal92 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:23 am

I have a 92 1500SE. End of riding season last year brake pedal started to get very soft. This spring installed new progressive springs in front and 416's on the rear. While apart changed pads front and rear. Bled system from front to rear as aways, no air. Still no firmness to pedal. Since the bike is 20 years old the local dealership told be to install a rebuild kit in the rear master cylinder. Done that and bled the system several times. Still no firmness to pedal. Checked the thickness of the rotors and found them to be within limits. Had this bike for 9 years and do my own repair and maintenance and never had this much trouble with the brake system. What am I overlooking?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 92 1500SE Brakes

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 23, 2012 11:32 am

It could be a couple different things. The rear brake pedal has to push brake fluid up over the top of the forks, and back down to the left caliper. It can be hard to bleed air out of that line - using a vacuum bleeder is really the best way. I've found I've had to draw quite a bit of fluid through at times to get all the trapped air bubbles out.

It could also be deteriorating brake lines. If the brake lines are swelling or bulging somewhere, that's going to eat up the pressure you're applying, instead of transmitting it to your calipers.

Lastly, caliper problems can cause it. If a caliper slide pin is seized, pressing the brake pushes the pistons/pads out against the rotor, and bends the caliper pin. When you release the brake pedal, the flexed caliper pin unflexes, pushing the pistons much further back into the caliper than they would normally go. This means you have to use much more brake to get back to the same point again. Your brake effort is going into bending the caliper pin instead of stopping the bike. Seized pistons can sometimes cause similar problems.

teal92
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE

Re: 92 1500SE Brakes

Postby teal92 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:25 pm

I have used a mitey vac and the old conventional pedal pump method and ran several rounds of fluid through with no air visible.

I have traced the lines and have found no leaks or bulging.

When I had the rear caliper off I cleaned the caliper pins and the pad pins and applied silicone grease to them before assembly. The pistons pushed back easy when pads where changed. One thing is when I removed the old pads the one against the pistons was down to the backer plate and the other one had 3/4 of it left.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”