Driveshaft Installation

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
godsen
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500

Driveshaft Installation

Postby godsen » Thu May 24, 2012 9:45 pm

Uh, oh.
I have a '90 1500 with a lot of miles and have taken the rear end apart to perform some maintenance as I have no idea what the maintenance history on the bike is. Amongst other things I took the back wheel off and removed the drive shaft to grease it all up nice with the Moly60 paste. So now I'm trying to re-install and it won't mate with the coupling coming off the transmission. Seems that when I pulled out the drive shaft, the coupling that it mates with is on a u-joint and the end of the joint dropped down to rest on the bottom of the swing arm tube that encases the assembly, so the drive shaft doesn't just slide straight back in. I hope my description paints the picture; nothing I had read warned of this little wrinkle and my frustration level is threatening to set a new record.
Is there a trick to getting this thing back in there or do I just have to wriggle it around and fight with it until it happens to slip back in? (I know there's an off-color joke in there somewhere!)

heidebill
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE

Re: Driveshaft Installation

Postby heidebill » Thu May 24, 2012 11:31 pm

It is a bit tricky, but have some patience, I envisioned that I have to lift something at the end of the drive shaft and that worked for me

Here is a video of my performance,
Have fun
Bill

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri May 25, 2012 7:17 am

There are two methods to do this. The first to try is by inserting the shaft and using the starter (Kill switch off). This might take two people. Slight forward pressure on the rear end while bumping the starter. This will cause the u-joint to spin slightly and align with the splines. I have used this method twice with success. The other method is to reach under and into the u-joint boot with your finger and push up on the u-joint. (Again two people). The first time I tried with the starter I was amazed how easy it went in.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri May 25, 2012 11:32 am

I spent an hour trying the "put it in reverse and bump the starter" method with no luck. I was working on my own, so what I ended up doing was bending a wire coat hanger in a bit of a loop so that there were no sharp edges, and slipping it under the driveshaft boot from the front. I pushed it up under the universal joint to lift it, then pushed the rear drive/driveshaft into place. A little bit of jiggling and it went right in.

godsen

Postby godsen » Fri May 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Beautiful!
Thanks, guys. I didn't know you could access it from the botton at the output; that will be the next thing I try.

BTW
I had already tried turning it over with the kill switch off... got nothing. Now I'm all worried, but it's on the centre stand with all the bags and trunk off (so a bunch of electrical disconnected). I'm hoping that once I get it all back together it will fire right up. If it doesn't I'm not sure whether to torch the bike or hang myself. Wish me luck!! :lol:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri May 25, 2012 1:37 pm

Incidentally, I took my "camera on a stick" and shoved it up the swingarm to view what was going on with the universal joint as I ran the reverse, so I could figure out what I was dealing with. This video is cruddy as I took it of the LCD screen on the monitor of the "camera on a stick", but you can see why it doesn't work - the universal joint is just too floppy, causing the output to rest on the bottom of the swingarm tube, where the driveshaft can't get to.

godsen

Postby godsen » Fri May 25, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks, WingAdmin. Nice to know I'm not the only one with a floppy joint!

Not that there isn't, or couldn't be, a problem there but I was also wondering if perhaps that joint is suppose to be quite stiff and mine is worn out...

Itching to get back to the shop and try to get that thing in. Going to be tough to make it all the way to the end of a Friday in the office.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri May 25, 2012 2:51 pm

godsen wrote:Thanks, WingAdmin. Nice to know I'm not the only one with a floppy joint!

Not that there isn't, or couldn't be, a problem there but I was also wondering if perhaps that joint is suppose to be quite stiff and mine is worn out...

Itching to get back to the shop and try to get that thing in. Going to be tough to make it all the way to the end of a Friday in the office.

No, that joint should be loose - not loose in that there's free play, but not stiff so that it holds itself straight out either.

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Fri May 25, 2012 3:51 pm

I have found that a large pair of needle nose pliers inserted under the front boot will hold the u-joint up and then is just a matter of turning the shaft as you push it in. Also you can use paper towels or a rag around the u-joint to help lift it up,and when done just pull them out. Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

godsen

Postby godsen » Sat May 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Went underneath and used my hand to move the u-joint around while my boy fitted the final. Had to fiddle with it a bit but worked like a charm!!
Got the bike completely back together and flamed her up this morning. New rubber (Avon Venom), bearings, shocks (Progressive Air), Dyna-beads, fresh gear oil in the final drive and freshly greased drive-shaft- WOW! Took it down the highway for a test drive and what a difference. So much quieter, smoother and handles better too. I'd say it feels like a new bike but I haven't ridden one so I can't.

Anyway, thanks so much for the tips guys.
I love the internet, and I love WingDocs!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”