98 Wing starting issue

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
starmanjb
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing

98 Wing starting issue

Postby starmanjb » Fri May 25, 2012 8:18 pm

A friend of mine has a 1998 Wing. He went to start it one morning and wouldn't start. It turned over, just wouldn't start. Came home that night and it started right up. He says as soon as he left off the starter button, the bike started. It sounded like there wasn't enough ignition voltage when the starter was engaged but as soon as the starter stopped drawing current, there was enough to fire. Batter checked out fine and charging circuit checks out fine. He thinks it might be a low ignition voltage issue and seems to recall that there was a fix for that. He also remembers some Honda ATV's in the 90's having that same problem. Does anyone remember?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: 98 Wing starting issue

Postby virgilmobile » Sat May 26, 2012 1:03 am

I've heard a few things like this.

Everybody seems to just put in another battery to "fix" the problem.

I've got a 88 and I had the same concerns.Although I don't have this problem.
Before you go off the deep end,look at one thing.

Get the bike to the point where it is difficult to start...Remove one plug wire and stick in a spare plug,lay it on the block and crank the engine.If you don't have a strong spark in a very short crank time,there may be in fact a low voltage problem.

Take a look at the video in this post for a reference to the spark on my 88.http://www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt ... =6&t=10282

With this information,I determined that the ECM is a real computer system and could get quirky if the supply volts drop low....I see this often in computerized radio equipment I install.They really don't do well below 10.75 volts.

To test mine,I used a DVM directly on the plug of the ECM and measured the DC volts during cranking.
Even tho the battery maintained 11.2volts cranking,the voltage going to the ECM had dropped to 10.1 volts.This was borderline low volts.
This is where changing a "good" battery for a new "hotter" battery works to fix the problem.It keeps the volts up a bit higher.

Obviously as soon as you stop cranking,the volts will come up and the ECM starts working better.

I opted for a different method.I realized that the power goes from from the battery,to the ign switch,to the fuse box,over here,over there.....my God it's got to go all over before it gets to the ECM.A lot of switches,and wire...ripe for a voltage loss problem.

I cut the main power to the ECM and coils,tied them to a relay fed direct from the battery and used the old feed wire to operate the relay.
Now when I turn on the key,it clicks the relay and there is no voltage loss to the coils or ECM and it pops off every time,even if the battery is a bit weak.
Using the old feed wire to operate the relay maintains all the original safety features too.

Sorry this is long winded.I needed to explain the why's as I found.I hope this may apply to yours also.

starmanjb
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing

Postby starmanjb » Sat May 26, 2012 5:14 am

Thanks for the tips. I've relayed this on. He'll give that a look hopefully today.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sat May 26, 2012 7:40 am

For a quick test,start your car and get ready to jump it. At the moment it isn't starting,jump the battery with the car running to give the bike battery a little more volts.It should fire right up. If it does, this confirms a low volt battery.Then you can deal with it as you see fit.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”