front speakers

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Tony Skelton
Motorcycle: 2007 Goldwing 1800 Roadsmith Trike

front speakers

Postby Tony Skelton » Sat May 26, 2012 9:40 pm

A friends 1988 gl1500 has noisy front speakers. They sound like they are cracked when you turn up the volume. We installed new speakers but they sound the same way. Sound is great thru the headset. Anyone have any ideas?

jerry8671
Motorcycle: 1980 gl1100 goldwing

Re: front speakers

Postby jerry8671 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:20 pm

you may not be running enough power for the speakers to run at a higher volume. check with your local mobile electronics dealer and see what they say

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:33 am

Make sure you have the correct OHMs for your speakers, see this site. I'm not sure what OHMs are required for the front speakers. I managed to find a pair of tweeters for my 1500/6 so now I have 6 speakers on the bike.

I'm not sure how the OHMs work but if you have a too bigger OHM than what is required than it won't work correctly, however someone may correct me on that.

http://www.marktaw.com/recording/Electr ... akers.html

Tony Skelton
Motorcycle: 2007 Goldwing 1800 Roadsmith Trike

Postby Tony Skelton » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:44 am

I don't much about ohms but this problem started all of a sudden. Sounds good at low volume but cracks and pops at about 60% volume. I also found that it does this on all 4 speakers but is perfect on the headset. Thanks for any help. Tony

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:36 pm

The amplifier used for the headset is different from the amplifier used for the speakers.

As for the ohms - you're talking about speaker impedance. For a basic explanation, look at Ohm's law - given a constant voltage (which you will have for a specific amplifier putting out a specific signal), the current flowing is inversely proportional to the impedance of the load (in this case the speaker). I (current) = E (voltage) / R (resistance, in ohms). The lower the resistance (lower ohms) the higher the current.

What does this mean? Well, amplifiers can only put out so much current. Draw too much current, and you risk damaging the amplifier. So if an amplifier is rated for 20 watts into an 8 ohm load, and you hook up a 2 ohm load, the current (and therefore the watts, which is voltage x current) increases dramatically. People will use this fact to get their amplifiers to put out "more power", by hooking up lower resistance speakers. The result is a hotter-running amplifier.

But being that amplifiers can only put out so much power, when you get to that limit, the signal is cut off, or "clipped". This is bad for two reasons:

1. It sounds terrible. Clipping creates distortion. Turn a small transistor radio volume up all the way, and the sound degrades into noise and static - that's distortion.

2. When the amplifier is clipped, it cuts off that portion of the waveform and instead of a peaking waveform following the audio signal, it instead puts out DC, at its maximum output capability. This can easily cook the coils of a speaker. For this reason, a 20 watt amplifier can easily destroy a speaker rated for 100 watts, if the amplifier is driven into clipping enough.

Sometimes the coils aren't totally destroyed - just part of them gets melted. The result is a speaker that sounds gravelly and distorted ALL of the time from then on.

OK, so you know not to put speakers on an amplifier that have a lower impedance (ohms) than the amplifier is rated for. What about adding more speakers, as you mentioned? Say you want to hook up a set of tweeters in parallel with your existing speakers?

Well...the problem is, hooking two speakers in parallel actually lowers the total impedance. Putting two 8 ohm speakers in parallel actually presents a 4-ohm load to the amplifier. See this page: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-paralresist.htm

OK, back to the original problem - crackling (distortion) at 60% volume. Being that they sound OK at low volume, I would guess that the amplifier is OK (solid-state amps tend to either work great, or not at all). It's possible that the speakers that have been replaced are of too low an impedance, causing the amp to go into clipping at a lower output than it normally would.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”