coolant question

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
TennX
Motorcycle: 97 GL 1500 Aspencade
06 VTX 1300R

coolant question

Postby TennX » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:56 am

Just checked my Res. level and appears to be ok, but coolant is green ...I use engine ice in my VTX and blue colored honda premix in my Honda civic...do you guys use any green coolants for the GL..+ can safely mix my honda premix with whats in there assuming its ok coolant...many thanks

Phil.......

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: coolant question

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:02 pm

The Honda OEM coolant is green, so there's a fair chance that's what you're looking at.

TennX
Motorcycle: 97 GL 1500 Aspencade
06 VTX 1300R

Postby TennX » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:32 pm

WingAdmin wrote:The Honda OEM coolant is green, so there's a fair chance that's what you're looking at.

Thanks, I did not pay attention to the color of my VTX coolant when I did the first change and went to engine ice...I was not aware that factory was green...thanks again...
Phil.......

Makman
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500-SE
1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Makman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:52 pm

Will be doing major maintenance soon & figure to also change coolant since I'll have to be in there, plus it's time. Questions:
1) Would you recommend full coolant flush, or just basic drain and refill?
2) Would you suggest leaving the Thermostat alone (seems to be working well & properly), or would you suggest changing that as well, as part of overall maintenance?
3) Wondering if anyone has or would suggest going to a 5-year (longer life) type of Anti-freeze/coolant set-up instead of the obligatory OEM Honda premix? Yes, I would Only mix the 5-year stuff with Distilled water, but thanks for the thought :D

Appreciate your input and hope to hear from you. 8-)

Bamaeagle
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 w/Tow Pac
1997 GL1500

Postby Bamaeagle » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:14 am

Makman wrote:Will be doing major maintenance soon & figure to also change coolant since I'll have to be in there, plus it's time. Questions:
1) Would you recommend full coolant flush, or just basic drain and refill?
2) Would you suggest leaving the Thermostat alone (seems to be working well & properly), or would you suggest changing that as well, as part of overall maintenance?
3) Wondering if anyone has or would suggest going to a 5-year (longer life) type of Anti-freeze/coolant set-up instead of the obligatory OEM Honda premix? Yes, I would Only mix the 5-year stuff with Distilled water, but thanks for the thought :D

Appreciate your input and hope to hear from you. 8-)

1) If you are not having any over heating issues, I would do just a basic drain and refill. Drain out old coolant, run regular water through a bit and then refill with new coolant.

2) Again if you are not having overheating issues I would leave the thermostat alone. It is a PITA to get to and change (been there done that) and I have heard of people having hose leaks after they change theirs due to not getting back on correctly or clamps not tight enough.

3) I myself would not do a 5 year type of antifreeze. I change mine yearly and it is not a costly job and not too hard to do. Just MHO!
JERRY

Ride Safe Always!!!

Roll Tide Roll !!

Darksider #1147

Double Darkside - Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achiles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)

Makman
1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Makman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Hey, Thanks, B-Eagle. Guess I'm fortunate so far, because the cooling system seems to be Great - no overheating whatsoever, fan comes on/shuts off properly - all seems 100%. I agree with the less-is-more approach here myself, but thought I'd ask. I made the mistake of having the Dealer do a wholesale change in my VFR (under warranty), and have had persistent issues since - much of which started due to F'g Air they left in the system. Not looking to open a can of worms here suits me fine. Regarding the once-a-year procedure you use, the Dealer (remember that guy?) told me that it should be done every 2 years, so Kudos to you for being ahead of the game. I'll have to take a closer look - if it's as basic as you suggest, than that's even better. :D

Regarding the 5-year coolant, I've had Very good luck with it in other vehicles - including numerous Honda cars - so I would ask for any further Forum comments to see if we might get some additional feedback. Thanks again, B-Eagle, and I guess that Tide is Still Rolling, Right... 8-)

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:17 pm

There are no real advantages in over-servicing. While I change out my coolants, brake and cluth fluids every two years, that seems to some to be over-servicing, but to me is just about right. I mix my own coolant with rain water, (the rain water sits for a while so that any debris that might have occurred from the clouds sinks to the bottom - eg dust), so that the consistency is right. Brake and clutch fluids are as per the specs, and because the fluid is hydroscopic (attracts water), needs to be done on a regular timescale so that the brakes work alright, especially when you need them the most.

It is the same with engine oil, over-servicing does nothing except put profits into the oil industry. The oils produced today are so much better that they will last a lot longer than the oils of the past. However, if they are changed at the manufacturers' intervals, then your engine should last longer than you. Petrol (aka gasolene) should also be the right mix for the engine, as running higher octane is no better, and running at too low an octane will also cause some knocking (aka pinging), which does you and the engine no good.

Be right, and service regularly, but not too regularly.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Makman
1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby Makman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:07 am

Hey, Thanks, ReDial. My thoughts are similar to yours and appreciate your post, especially the 2-year fluid service interval. The point about Rain Water was interesting, too - we used to use water we collected from the Dehumidifier when I was a kid, and strain it out as well. I'm able to get Distilled water locally, which has worked out.

As an aside, I had what developed into an ongoing issue in the Jeep that - even with fluid changes and some persistent flushing - we couldn't conquer. I kept getting Calipers that were binding, and even Locking Up, yet the Whole system had been flushed, cleaned (we thought), and properly re-filled a few times. After a recommendation from elsewhere, I reluctantly changed the Brake Hoses (they seemed Fine). What I was told was that, over time, the Insides deteriorate and begin to break down (and you can't tell by Looking at them), indiscriminately depositing lovely little particles into the system. I'd Never heard this before, but went ahead and did the Whole job - Again - but this time with the New hoses.

Amazingly, the Problem was Solved. And, frankly (since we got this used from it's original owner), the thing had Never stopped as well or as consistently as it does now, and the Mileage is up, too. SO - my suggestion would be that, for any of us who have Older units especially, to consider what Redial suggests, and to give some thought to your own Hoses as well.

NOW - does Anyone have any experience or thoughts about 5-year (Long Life) Coolant when we do the Drain/Flush/Refill service...? Speaking of the 2-Year service here, and since I've had very good results in the cars using the 5-Year coolant product, can any of you weigh in with any results of yours regarding using the 5-year coolant in the Bikes? Thanks for your interest, and hope to hear from you. Ride Safe! 8-)

ekcyclerepair
Motorcycle: Various

Postby ekcyclerepair » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:38 pm

I've never used the 5 year coolant so can't say either way. The reason Honda specifies using their coolant, is that it's silicate free, and helps extend the life of the water pump. Many coolants use silicates, which are abrasive, to "scrub" the radiator and coolant passages inside the engine. The Honda coolant accomplishes this with chemicals, instead of silicates. Also, just because it's green doesn't mean it's the same stuff. Some green coolants are actually made with an extra high silicate content.
Just my .02

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”